Sugar/Speedi/Fibre Beet

katieB

Aug 14, 2003
Cheshire
Visit site
This might be a bit of a silly question but is there any difference between sugar beet and speedi beet apart from the soaking time? Also whats the difference between fibre beet and speedi beet?

speedibeet is far more suitable for laminitics/fatties. I wouldn't feed mine sugarbeet ever (it would drive them off their trollies!) but they do get speedibeet in winter to maintian weight.

Last edited:
sorry to hijack

but does speedibeet make them "excitable"? ive a tb ex racer and am looking to bulk his feeds.

hes on hifi lite, pony nuts, mix and oils. but have been told to try cutting the nuts and half mix.

hes not really working hard a couple days a week. living out rugged up at mo.

many thanks x x

What martini said :)

Speedibeet has added vitamins and minerals

I'm not sure that's actually the case? The other difference is the soaking time, 10 minutes or less for speedibeet, 12 hours or more sugar beet.

but does speedibeet make them "excitable"? ive a tb ex racer and am looking to bulk his feeds.

Not normally, it's a very low sugar fibre feed so gives slow release energy, I feed it to my Tb once the weather turns colder with no problems :)

Beet pellets and shreds are essentially straights not manufactured feeds so are not balanced with vitamins and minerals. The branded speedi/readi etc are manufactered including vitamin and mineral supplementation.

People often forget when mixing horses feeds that if 'straights' are included you may have to also feed a broad spectrum supplement.

Doesn't say anything on the British Horse Feeds website about anything specifically being added to Speedibeet, but apparently Fibrebeet has additional biotin in it.

hes on hifi lite, pony nuts, mix and oils. but have been told to try cutting the nuts and half mix.

I fed my TB ex racer speedibeet with no exciting side effects, although I also fed her regular sugarbeet with no difference in energy levels.

You mention nuts and mix? Is this neccessary? You'd probably be better with just one compound feed that suits your horses needs (mix or nuts, little difference between the two except cost, human desire, and the potential for nuts to be marginally slower energy release).

I feed Speedibeet to my lami prone mare. Its great to feed to horses and ponies prone to lami as it as a very low GI (glycemic index) and therefore doesn't cause any problems with blood sugar levels or insulin resistance. Fibrebeet has alfalfa added to it, similar to Dengie Alfabeet. However I use Speedibeet with alfalfa pellets, that way I can control how much of each I give. I also use a vit and min supplement as well.

I used to use it with Alfa A Lite, but came off that as wanted a source of alfalfa without all the mould inhibitors and preservatives. The pellets don't contain any. I read that mould inhibitors and preservatives can contribute to footiness so just wanted to rule it out.

I use speedibeet and have done since my vet recommended it to me when i got my 2 tbs who were severly underweight.

I still feed a small amount in her feed in the winter but that is just to keep her weight up. She doesnt get fizzy on it.
She is out 24/7 and rugged and is hardly doing any work. this winter she will be doing nothing tbh.

She is a tb ex racer just incase you was wondering.

newrider.com