Sugar beet opposed to Speedibeet

Kc Mac

Aug 22, 2008
Does anyone feed the traditional sugar beet whether its the 24 or 12 hour soak?

If so do you find it is very good for adding/maintaining weight?

I ask as last winter i was feeding speedibeet and i actually didn't find it that great for adding or maintaining weight on my tb and i seemed to be feeding tons of it! I was thinking about trying sugar beet instead. She is 20yrs old and a field ornament!

Any opinion appreciated :D

If she's a field ornament and isn't prone to laminitis then yes 'proper' sugarbeet would be better to keep weight on. Most people feed low sugar beet such as speedibeet because they find sugarbeet can make their horses a bit fizzy to ride. If she's non ridden then that shouldn't be a problem for you :) Otherwise if she is ok with alphaA maybe alphabeet might be an idea? Barley rings are goot for adding weight too and can be soaked.

I can't give any of the above to my poor doer as he is fairly intolerant and gets fizzy and itchy on them but they are probably ideal for what you are wanting them for :)

Thanks guys you have confirmed what i was thinking!! Hopefully will have the desired effect :)

ditto I feed sugar beet rather than speedibeet to the big guys over the winter as it is for maintaining weight, I also feed sugar beet to the Shetlands if there is snow on the ground (as well as haylage) but I would choose speedibeet if I needed to feed them it any other time.

I also feed sugarbeet to my goats to maintain weight over the winter too :)

I used speedibeet for my lami for the first time last winter, just near the end when he dropped a little. He has never needed it before, but having a lot of water in it when made up, gives a nicer taste to his hifi lite which he gets a bit fed up with.

Previously used sugarbeet for veteran to keep weight on. (not prone to lami)

i would feed alfa beet raster then sugarbeet for maintaining weight

Ok what reasons be for choosing alfa beet over sugarbeet? I have never fed alfa beet - am i right in thinking it is like speedi beet with added alfalfa? Who makes it?

I think i will probably give the sugarbeet a go anyway :)

Mine's on speedibeet, I have no problems with fizziness although she only has it for her supper. Saying that, last winter she was on it 3 times a day because she needed building up and she was still the same laid back nature.

Thanks for replies people but to clarify she is a 20yr old 16.1hh tb who is a field companion and all that is expected of her is to eat and keep my horse company!

Speedibeet did not really build her up and barely maintained her weight when getting tons of the stuff hence im looking at sugarbeet or other possible alternatives! However it was good for my boy who will still get it :)

newrider.com