Suffolk to Wiltshire for young horse starting

Ex-racer

May 24, 2007
Suffolk
Hi,

I have my mare booked in for the young horse starting course at James Roberts Foundation Station in March. I don't have my own transport so was planning on hiring a 3.5tonne horsebox for the day to drive her there myself.
Just wondering if this is the best way to get her there. I know you can use horse transporters but are they good? Or any cheaper than doing it yourself?
Also on the off chance that anyone else might be doing the same kind of journey and would like to share travel?

Thanks for any replies

I got a price from a horse transporter from Devon to Suffolk and he was a lovely bloke was going to cost me £185 all in and this included stopping regularly to check the horses etc.

Hiring transport yourself is usually about £90 - £100 for the day, but you have to cover fuel yourself. Maybe phone around a few transporters and get some quotes? You can always post the names of people you've called on here to see if anyone has used them?

I've used Manningtree Horse Box hire for both hiring to drive and with a driver, they're pretty good :)

Yeah I've used Manningtree before and they were good. It seems like with the cost of hire and fuel it will work out about the same as a transporter. Seeing as she'll be going and staying there for 3 weeks I'm leaning towards taking her myself. Just so that I can unload her and make sure for myself that she's ok there, although I'll probably cry when I have to leave without her :cry:

newrider.com