Sudden change in horse when hacking

sophieology

Apr 20, 2008
Kent England
Hi, I wonder if any of you can give me any ideas/tips about what is going on and how to deal with it..........
Ok, we have had Angel since the end of May. Didn't ride her for first 8 weeks as had back problem that we got sorted, and needed new saddle etc. We than moved her yard 4 weeks ago, because we were being bullied. New yard is fab. We started to hack her out after we moved her, and everything was going well. She was happy to hack alone (with one of us walking next to her), she wasn't particularly spooky, she was listening to our aids and doing as we asked.
Last week it changed drastically. She is now very jumpy at everything and nothing. She is snorting and spinning, feeling like a coiled spring beneath us. Not wanting to go forward one minute, then trying to rush off the next. Today my confident 12 year old rode her out, and it was the same, this time Angel tried to canter off back in the direction of home. Fortunately my daughter has a great seat an bags of confidence and determination. Each time Angel tried to argue with her, she was patient and firm.

Myself and my friend are not very confident with this turn of events, and to honest I am scared of whether I can deal with it when I ride. However, I rode her in the paddock today and she was absolutely fine (and I feel confident there).

Is she napping through nerves? Is she trying to boss us about??
How do we sort it??

Any ideas greatly received.

make sure everything is checked by a vet, (teeth,back, tack etc.)

if everything is fine then i would ride around the field for a bit. do lots of transitions to get her listening to you, the go over "scary" objects, at first in hand, then gradually on her back. this will help her trust you. when you go out lead her for the first few times, let her get used to everything. then when you ride her persuade her and take everything is small bite size pieces. if she tries to turn, let her, but carry on turning to turn back the way you were facing. she will soon learn that all it does is make her go dizzy! if she runs off with you then turn her head so she has to face to the right/left as this will put her off balance.

hope that helps and best of luck:)

We have had all the checks done, and everything is fine.
Is she trying to be boss?? She is only 7, welsh section D. She established herself a head mare in her new yard after only a week??!!

She sounds a lot like a mare that I was riding for somebody last year. The mare I rode had lost her confidence hacking alone and was napping through nerves. Same sort of thing, but lots of rearing too - not much fun on a 16.3!! We started hacking out in company again, but firmly pushing her to the front, gradually getting further away from the other horse. She was reluctant at first but did get better. Eventually she was able to hack alone again, but only with a confident rider. It sounds similar your mares problem, she is certainly napping but the fact that she is head of the herd makes me think she just doesn't want to leave them rather than she is nervous! It seems your daughter has the right approach - it is a matter of being patient and firm, but if you are feeling nervous I wouldn't try to deal with it yourself as it can send the wrong vibes and the horse will probably take advantage of it! Try to gain your confidence back by hacking out in company again (she may be more willing to go with one of her 'pack') Good luck ;)

Last edited:
Are you hard feeding her?? Is someone giving treats over the door without your knowledge?? Both of these can be contributing factors to spookiness...

If she is herd leader in the field what position are you in when you are around her? Would more ground work be needed now you are on a new yard. Maybe she needs more confidence from her rider and handler to stop the napping.

Welsh D's can be testing. ;)

I have similar problem with my horse Harry although he is very spooky the secret is, is to stay calm!! and gentle perswation.. today I was hacking him out enjoying the sunshine!! :) two labrodors ran up to him with that he has reared and spun and tryed to gallop me in the other direction!! stupid horse!! :rolleyes: wasn't really the dog owners fault as the dogs see me before the owner and Harry really isn't very good with dogs!! give him a tractor or a big lorry any day!! when I turned him around the owner had got control of the dogs and he was snorty and silly after that shame because he had been so good up untill that point!! now last year it would have made me quite nervous and it would have made him worse but these days I feel like I can cope with anything that he throws at me!! now I know it's easier said that done but don't let your nerves get to you if you do on a sensative horse your problems will only escalate!! not sure how much help ive been!! :eek:
good luck!! xx

To be fair it sounds as though your Horse has been through it over the last few months with a second change of yards then being thrown in so probably still feels unsettled.

I would work on the groundwork and hack out with others for a while when possible pushing her to the front to take the lead after a while and increasing the distance until you feel that you can split and take a slightly different route home, even if its only down the lane on your own.

It will come but it takes some confidence to not be thrown by her/his behaviour and if you are nervous, and to be fair a lot of people would be, maybe get someone else more confident in to help initially.

Hope it all goes ok.

Thanks for all the advice. There isn't really anyone we can go out hacking with, however, I will do some asking around. She is easy to catch from the field, and this has only been since we are at new yard. She doesn't barge us on the ground, and is well behaved. I realise she has had a lot to deal with moving yards so quickly, but we could not stay at the other (see my previous threads). We are all being patient and firm, but no, I don't feel confident dealing with her when she behaves silly. My daughter is the best rider of the 3 of us for that.
Would more general exercise help??

newrider.com