Stupid weather ...

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
All this rain - sun - rain - sun means even our (usualy rather minimalistic!) field is sprouting, which has now resulted in Angel being slightly footie on gravel (sound as a pound on the road, on grass and smooth surfaces though, and fine with her renegades on) - she's off the hill at the moment and paddocked on hay (don't want her losing any weight at the moment - she remains underweight and muzzling restricts her too much currently) to 'detox'.

i am SO glad i decided to go down the barefoot route a year and a half ago! i am absolutely certain that if she still had fronts on I wouldn't even have picked up on this slight footiness on time :ninja:

anyone else struggling with the sprouting grass at the moment?

Thankfully (and desperatley touching wood!!!) we are not - for some reason this field they are in madam is able to cope with - though she could do with being ridden as she's been off for a few weeks now as Ive been tied up with other stuff.

However, I am having to mow the lawn weekly :eek: on the upside, Ive tried some gardening this year, and my 20p strawberries that were beyond help(I thought) at B&Q have sprung to life and taking over the place!!!!!!!

well...my friends haffie who has been going down on/off with LGL/lami since March has been struggling so they just decided to put 4 shoes on....daft in my opinion, but hey ho none of my business.

Moet is slightly less reluctant again on the gravel. Tempted with boots again for the summer on the fronts as i dont really want to cut her intake of grass/feed any further as her energy levels are just great at the moment. Mind you think its more the case that this week i have only managed to ride 3 days, she would normally be ridden everyday.

All this rain - sun - rain - sun means even our (usualy rather minimalistic!) field is sprouting, which has now resulted in Angel being slightly footie on gravel (sound as a pound on the road, on grass and smooth surfaces though, and fine with her renegades on) - she's off the hill at the moment and paddocked on hay (don't want her losing any weight at the moment - she remains underweight and muzzling restricts her too much currently) to 'detox'.

i am SO glad i decided to go down the barefoot route a year and a half ago! i am absolutely certain that if she still had fronts on I wouldn't even have picked up on this slight footiness on time :ninja:

anyone else struggling with the sprouting grass at the moment?

ours is much the same - we are working 3 paddocks - 1 large one for during the day and all 3 on it - not much in and they have to walk and work for it - Tess has a longer grass paddock on a night and Acorn and Nuts have a small better covered one together overnight - Acorn comes in every couple of days overnight for detox- wrorking at the moment - noramally he would be out 24/7 by now but not this year with silly weather, July last year we had worked all 5 paddocks and wee waiting for hay being cut so we could move them on!

Charlie is in 24/7 at moment on walk out due to abcess but he will go out in very small lammi paddock later in week - mix of sand and poor sparse grass- we won't be able to put him out 24/7 in the field with others until the grass settles more - more rain forcast this week - can't see an end to it yet - :stomp:

glad im not alone here :)

the annoying thing is that she's generally much better when she's out in the big (40 acre) field with a muzzle (eg gets movement). unfortunately, this year it's not working it seems :( she's been really hard to keep weight on for years now which makes everything even more complicated ... ponehs, who'd have them, eh?

Yes our usually sparse grazing has gone bonkers too, we are trying to "top" our winter fields because it's got so long so we are nights on and days off but even what they are coming off onto for the day is still green they just need to work a bit harder.. Keeping a very close eye on the ponies and the fat cob but seem to be ok at the moment, every few days they have a couple of days completely off the long stuff for a bit of a detox..

Keep thinking it's got to stop raining eventually and they might start eating it faster than it's growing which would be good!! :giggle:

We are footy on gravel and stones as she has dropped soles. Noticing though that the left front is slowly beginning to go concave slightly.
We have boots with pads to lead out.
She is out in about 15 acres with 10. It is very chilly on the cliffs and the grass is not that fab quality wise.
I spend some of my time picking herbs to supplement the grazing. She loves what the others don't look at.

Having an awful time of it here too, this is the worst possible weather for hooves with the grass going crackers like it is. My two have been in all day and out at night in muzzles with enlarged holes and been relatively OK up to press, but after one night without I had a cob avoiding stones on the way in and a Tb with warm feet and thumping pulses. Needless to say they're back on tonight, normally by July we're past the worst but I'm struggling to remember the last day we had where it didn't rain at some point and it's been warm with it.

My two have spent some time in overnight the last few days/weeks.

I use the laminitis app on my ipod which is fantastic. It goes on your postcode too. If it says high risk then mine both come in for a while/overnight and if it says low risk then they stay out. Also rotating fields so none of the fields get too short and stressed.

Ellie has stayed sound doing this :biggrin:

I'm demented with our pony, he is so foot sore! He has had front shoes off for a week and a half now, will be sending pics to farrier this arvo to decide where to go from here.

He is in a sparse paddock with just pickings, out 24/7 and ive started muzzling. I have to lunge in my other paddock as i can't get him to the yard to use the school!

The news though always tells you it is the worst June or the worst April. My memory is not my friend but i do believe they said this last year!

Think it is lining up to be the wettest June since records began :) But it's the spells of rain followed immediately by a bit of hot sunshine and temps in the high teens during the day that cause the problem. We had one poor old girl who never goes out without a muzzle and still had to be box rested with lami episode, and plenty of footy horses.

This weather sucks. We have 70 acres of hay on the ground and its peeing it down. That'll be no good now :-(

This weather sucks. We have 70 acres of hay on the ground and its peeing it down. That'll be no good now :-(

Not looking good for hay is it, ours will be lucky to get the first cut, even then it will be poor quality (ok for us as thats how we need it - not so good for others) - definate no second cut now.

Our grass is looking worryingly green. I know that probs sounds silly. I have electriced off a goodly portion of it, I worry constantly about our two girls. With Chloe being retired and a companion it isn't like I can work her weight down. Storm is being ridden twice a day or lunged once and ridden the other, but so far it isn't working! Darn the rain making the grass grow....................

there's no end to this :cry: pony still off grass and eating a fortune in hay instead :unsure: oh well, at least she's not footie any more but i wont chance it until this stoopid weather stops. i do feel bad keeping her in this small pen though :( but muzzling isnt safe either with her at the moment :(

same here - used more hay over last couple of months than previous 12!
have had 2 hot sunny days - but thats due to change - well it would I have a week off work and want to do quite a bit of work with them all !

newrider.com