Stupid question of the day - how do you seperate/unwrap small bale haylage?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
It doesn't seem to seperate int sections like hay and is very tightly wrapped.

So whats the best way to seperate it up if only feeding for example 1/4 or 1/2 a bale?

I have small bales and currently using 3/4 a day but finding it hard to seperate without unwrapping it all and making a bit of a mess.

Either just pull hard or it usually comes apart easier if you pull from the long sides rather than the top or I just unwrap and shake it out.

I leave it in the store room like that so it won't get wet or anything. It is a bit of a pain unlike hay sections.

Yep it seperates on the stalky long side :)

You just need to open the wrap further own than you need, stick fingers in to stalky bit and then lift up :)

(assuming ou have the bale stood an a small end :)

AAh, so you can just open the whole lot up then?

I thought I was doing it a bit of a numpty way of obvouisly not :bounce:

I have my own feed room so it's no prob to open a bale up at a time and shake it I just thought it had to be kept wrapped for some reason, even with using within a few days.

Must say ponies are really loving the haylage...it smells and looks lovely!

Also finding it is definitely keeping Harvey's weight on a bit better even though i'm not using quite as much as i would hay (he has grazing 24/7 too but he's a bit picky about his grazing - anyone else ever had a horse in a field with grass in that he wouldn't eat!)

Yesnexr doors horses are in my field and it is really good long grazing - they have still Bern stood at the gate waiting for hay!!! :redcarded:

newrider.com