stupid question abut mucking out shavings pics needed lol

loubymay1

Apr 9, 2008
i feel really stupid but have always had straw beddings. How to you muckout a deep bed of shavings as im swapping to shavings any pics of yor beds once mucked out. thanks x

Take out as much of the poo as you can find then throw up dry shavings against a wall till it is all piled up - much like straw really but do it with a shavings fork - brush out the wet - then keep taking shavings from the bottom of the piled up pile and throw it up to the top until you've got as much of the small pieces of poo as you can possibly find out - like you're rotating it - then bring it all down and build your bed and banks as normal - no pics though - sorry - hope that helps :D

I used to pick out all the poo by hand.....wearing gloves obviously, lol, then
as the above post said, throw the bed up against a wall, brush out the wet and relay the bed.

However, IF you are thinking about changing bedding consider Aubiose rather than shavings.....you deep litter, so just need to poo pick day to day and then have a 'bigger' clearout in the same manner as the shavings, once a week.

Its fantastic stuff, very absorbent, and although intitially a bit dearer by approx £1. per bale, saves you loads and loads of time in the longrun.

I was adding shavings by the ton it seemed when I was using them but since
changing to Aubiose only usually need a bale a week, two if I am feeling really generous. Once you have laid the bed you 'water' it and it forms a sort of crust that the wet soaks down through. Fantastic Stuff......Easybed
is similar. I would never willingly go back to shavings now.

thanks thats loads of help i felt well sad asking. just dint want to be doing it wrong and getting funny looks from my new yard people hahaha

Another vote for Aubiose!!
I have Katey on it and it is soo much easier and better than shavings!!

newrider.com