Stupid Person Alert....Does this Bit Fit?!

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
bb684de8.jpg

88f8814d.jpg

aa67fbf5.jpg

0c5ca741.jpg

90a25d21.jpg

Background is that he was in a 6.75" as below....and equine dentist says its far too big:redface: and that a 6" should do the trick. I know they can vary depending on type and make, but I borrowed a mate's 6" french link snaffle to try and these are the photos above.

9a06b07c.jpg

Lol, when I look at photos I agree Karin! But when the dentist showed what happens when I put some tension on the reins, the bit in the last picture straightens out to be about 1/2 an inch out of either side of his mouth. He also showed that when you put tension on one rein, the lozenge which is supposed to sit in the centre of his mouth, ended up very near the corner of his mouth....not good at all. He suggested that the current bit I have is sitting too low in his mouth and its too big.
I'm thinking maybe, depending on the type of bit, that around 6.25" might be better. I'm wondering if the 6" pictured is just a bit too neat. Flipo, seemed unfazed. Am going to try out the 6" in the morning I think. More fool me, as I will have no brakes what so ever, but unless he spooks, it will give me a good indication of how comfortable he is in this size.

Last edited:
shucks. If 6" is a good size for Flipo then I am sure the 6" I bought for Minnie is way too big. I went by the 'should stick out 1/4" rule... and I measured her mouth as 5.62" with a caliber...

Oooh calipers....good idea....away to raid my dad's tool box!
Dentist said any normal 16.2hh should be in around 5". Flipo is 15.2hh, but as a heavy, he made allowances. If it wasn't broken I wouldn't fix it, but Flip is opening his mouth quite a bit of late, so I'm listening to him and dentist was first check, bit is the next. (saddle already checked, back still to be done).

I am doomed... Minnie is only 15.3h but being a Percheron cross she's just so much bigger than Dj and Bixby. Boo. But good for you for finding something that fits! :)

Lol, these big'uns are difficult to measure up aren't they! Plus sized models!!
Do have to love the irony of your horse's name:giggle:. I remember you saying it was indian, but funny nevertheless!

I wouldn't have a clue, but thanks for the photo's he is such a gorgeous handsome chap :inlove: Oscar does 'the eye' too... lol

Thanks WW, I'm kind of excited that we might not be as abnormal in the size department as I first thought as it means we can explore a few options and find the best for him. I will give it a go this afternoon and see how we fair.
And yep, it's a KV special, very posh!!

Oooh calipers....good idea....away to raid my dad's tool box!
Dentist said any normal 16.2hh should be in around 5".

teeheee .... my exmoors (def NOT 16.2!) are in 5" and 5.5" - a 5" Flip would just swallow, no?

i think the one in the first pic could be a tinsy tin bit longer maybe, but since it's an eggbutt it looks alright?

And mine are in a 4" and 4.5" :giggle:

I would say that the 6" is just a bit too snug for my liking but then I prefer them to be too big than too small. I know they aren't supposed to pinch, but in the second pic down, I would worry his lip/hairs would get pinched at the joint with the cheek pieces. For a loose ring you need to allow an extra 1/4 on top of normal size to prevent thing - I would see if you could try a 6.25 and see how he goes.

Snaffle looks too small to me. Can you get a front-on shot with you holding it straight in his mouth? This *may* entail another pair of hands :giggle:

The other way to measure is to put a piece of baler twine in his mouth and hold both sides then remove and measure the gap. A knot usually helps with this so you have something to measure from.....

I usually pull straight, you should be able to get finger in either side of the ring. It look too small as in would rub his face at that angle.
Do they do 6.5
My cob is in 5.5 and 14hh but has a thick tongue, could the tongue be causing some of fitting issues? So a 6 would fit but different style, loose ring perhaps.

Looks a bit too small IMO, i can just see it pinching ouchy ouch! :cold:

Finn has a 5.75 hehe he has a big gob for a little pony :tongue:

I would like a snaffle a teeny weeny bit bigger.

Can you easily fige your fingers between the cheek eye and the horse's face with the Butterfly? That's a good reckoner to see whether one of theose fits, you don't want it pinching her cheek teeth.

Ok doke, I think this is going to be a big trial and error situation, around 6.25" might be better, but will need to try out different styles to see what suits best. Definitely if it was a loose ring I was going for then I'd be looking slightly bigger than this, but not sure if the bit is sitting a tad low in his mouth forming a v shape so that it looks like its neat to the sides. Will pull out and take photos as suggested. :wink:
At the end of the day, this isn't the bit we'll stay in. I'm probably going to buy the same one I've got right now in a smaller size, and then scout through the bit banks to see what else I should try if he's still not happy going in the butterfly. Its a minefield!

You are lucky that you have 1/4" increment options! All I found was 5.5, 6, 6.5 in anything bigger than a 5.25
I will be watching you so I can learn from it... :) (translate that into lots of pics please! )

Is the bit jointed/french linked or bar? How it sits depends on what type it is.. the last piccie looked good
I think if it's french link, it's 2 creases, straight bar 1? Correct me if I'm wrong some one :help:

Last edited:
newrider.com