Stupid house prices

Well the houses up my road arent selling that quick. 2 had boards up for over a year. But then its not surprising with the million pound plus price bracket.

One finally just changed hands last week. Will be interesting to see in a couple of months what silly money it went for. I expect 2 million.

Its funny how we keep getting letters through our door for our empty properties, that are not on the market. Yet the ones on the market in the same road take time to sell. I think people think that they are going to buy our empty properties for nothing. How wrong they are. We regularly get told your properties must be worth a fortune yet people want to insult us, by offering peanuts. Typical human mentality.
Yes I imagine at that price there won’t be quite so many buyers, I’m talking about ordinary stuff, 2,3,4 beds in town or burbs not million pound properties, no idea on those.

Yeah but those million pound ones were 500 thousand and less a few years ago.

Even the pokey town flats round here go for stupid prices.

I was thinking of this thread today. I now have a full time job and I've passed probation (and managed to get a promotion as they can't find any staff, lucky me!) We went to look at a 1 bed property the other day for a smidge over £300k which is what we can just about afford, just. Right next to a sewage works and cemetery (personally this doesn't bother me, they won't build on that land at least), awful layout, absolutely tiny, no parking, needed lots of work, no storage, the current one person living there admitted they didn't even have space for a washing machine. We both work in London boroughs but it's not really an option for us both to commute by train as that is so expensive. We will keep looking obviously and I'm sure something will come up with a bit more room but I just thought about this when we were looking at it😂

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
You could always enter the million pound house draw. Supposedly free prize draw. The one near me has just been valued at 3.5 million. They even give 50,000 to help with the bills. lol

• Haha
Reactions: MrA
You could always enter the million pound house draw. Supposedly free prize draw. The one near me has just been valued at 3.5 million. They even give 50,000 to help with the bills. lol
I think I saw that one of those houses is unsaleable as it's on a flood plain and floods every winter. So instead of trying to sell it they raffled it and made more than it was worth. Ingenuity at its finest but you have to feel very sorry for the 'winner'

The one near me is not on a flood plain. But it was built by someone who has a dodgy reputation. Must have been valued by someone dodgy too.

Reactions: MrA
We've sold our house this month. It was on the market for 4 days, and got 3 offers, 2 for the asking price. It's a seller's market just now, Ale, but interest rates are to go up, so prices should come down later in the year. Someone on the radio said the prices will rise initially, then drop. Might be worth holding fire.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
We've sold our house this month. It was on the market for 4 days, and got 3 offers, 2 for the asking price. It's a seller's market just now, Ale, but interest rates are to go up, so prices should come down later in the year. Someone on the radio said the prices will rise initially, then drop. Might be worth holding fire.
I think we will have to really and keep everything crossed that they do come down a little and not continue rising, which is the worry as then we won't be able to afford anything.

Reactions: Huggy
The housing prices today are even worse than they were in 2021. Gen Z buyers are in a very unfavourable position and are forced to rent for years before being able even to get a loan.
I live in a small rental flat now, and I don't even think about buying a house because the prices look like the dealer's cat sat on their computer keyboard and added too many zeros to the sum. I'm currently consulting Mortgage Broker Bristol about my savings plan and hope to make my down payment in a few years.
Hopefully, the market situation will not get even worse.

Last edited:
Houses in my area (New Forest) are completely ridiculous - 2 bed bungalows in need of refurb 495k. Mind you a lot of listing have 'reduced this week' and have been on the market for a while.

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers
I keep seeing ‘house prices set to drop by 30 percent’ I can’t imagine that they will fall that much though, but a drop in prices from the silly money over the last couple of years would be good for FTB’s

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
newrider.com