Stupid dog owners!!

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
Now I have had dogs all my life as do most of my family and like to think I am responsible only letting off lead in safe areas where wont run on road or scare other animals etc. Just recently my Betty has been a bit scared of dogs when out hacking and I suspected that she had been chased in the field this was confirmed the other day when I went to retrieve a lost rug and a weinermarra (spelling soz) came running at me barking it had a harness on but no sign of the owner and its a private field anyway shouldnt really be in there. I heard the owner on the path below the field calling for the dog but he took no notice and carried on chasing me and barking it was a bit scary as I didnt know the dog. I have since seen the dog in the horses field several times and each time owner cant get him out then yesterday we were riding along the bridle path where he walks his dog and I spotted him coming towards us I hoped he would hold the dog or put its lead on whilst we passed but no he couldnt catch it and it ran towards us barking owner didnt apologise and I asked him to try and get it while we got by he couldnt and I said if my or my daughters horse kicked out it would be his own fault as it was running at their legs he was most annoyed and said it was only young and the horses should be used to dogs I think this owner needs some dog training lessons.

How did the dog get into the field? (Sorry if that sounds rather numb, I have no idea how high they can jump). I would have been quite cross, and rather impolite should I have found a loose potty wiemerama (can't spell it either) running about chasing either of my girls! (I've met a few of those dogs and they're are all puddled - I mean that in a nice way btw before anybody on here shoots me for being offensive!!!)
Perhaps you could put up a big sign - stating clearly NO DOGS?! Hope it does not continue. I think it is rubbish that the owner offered up no apology either - does not cost anything to be polite about these things............

Weimeraners are not reknowned for their brains although you do get the odd sensible one.
Not sure of the laws in the Shire for roaming etc since its allowed up here but guessing there will be guidelines about dogs being off lead but under control.
We insist on dogs being on lead on the estate due to livestock and ground nesting birds but most ignore. Most are reasonably well behaved but others are out of control. In my view if your dog doesnt recall on first shout or whistle it aint under control.
Check the legality before doing signs etc as people can be dead funny about access rights etc. especially someone who thinks its your horses that should be used to dogs. idiot!

Last year there was a problem with loose dogs in our area. Two were shot and signs have been posted warning dog walkers regards not keeping your dog in bye it seems to have sorted the situation for now.

Yes it did seem a bit of a silly boundy dog but it is pretty scary when it runs at you barking I just pretended I wasnt bothered and carried on walking, the dog gets in as our winter field is about 25 acres over hills and the boundary along one of the paths is hedging and it squashes through a small gap thats why the owner isnt in the field as well but it does have to jump up a stone wall to get to the hedges so must be good jumpers. I have been and told the farmer and he is going to watch for the guy walking onto the lane so he can have a word with him see if that helps. I had a bull terrier type dog do it to me last year on a different bridle path and it was a young girl who did have it on an extending lead she tried to pull it back in while we walked past but only the first couple of horses got past before it dragged her over and it went for my Snoopys back legs unfortunately he did kick out and caught the dog I stopped and asked if it was okay luckily he doesnt wear shoes so wasnt that bad but the girl did say it was her own fault and not to worry

i would be tempted to put up a sign saying if any dogs are found trespassing on private fields and terrorising the livestock then they will be shot!

should scare them into keeping him on the lead! (i obv dont advocate shooting dogs, its the threat that should work!)

A tramp was letting his border collie run wild amongst our herd of horse's a few years ago - only a few days before I caught him in the act, i'd found a puncture wound pointing downwards which looked very much like the shape of the canine tooth in a dogs mouth, and a scrap below it, where the other canine hadn't succeeded penetrating the skin but scuffed the hair off instead on my horse's shoulder - this Border Collie was running around, chasing the horse's and snapping at their heels.
He didn't think his dog was being dangerous... would he have still thought that if a horse had double barrelled or kicked out, injuring the dog? I certainly wasn't impressed, I mean I had a £100 vet bill because of his stupidity..
Eta.. it had been revealed to me at the time of the vet visit that a Tramp had been letting his border collie loose in the fields, hence why I know it was him

It is never the dogs fault it is the dumb owners, why the hell don't he keep it on a lead if it chases things. You need my black cob in your field, she would soon sort it. We get it a lot because my field runs along side a recreation ground and a nature reserve. Mighty mouse (black cob) will take on anything and look after other horses. Our little pack of dogs are also only to happy to join in the chase so we have no real problems. Weimaraners are really quite nervous dogs, it is obviously young and silly. Put a low line of electric fencing up that will sort it. Best thing would be your own little pack of dowgs bit of luck they will scare owner of to.

:giggle::giggle::giggle:what ever you know what I mean lol. My spelling and grammar leaves a lot to be desired. I have to spell check because I am so hopeless:giggle::giggle::giggle: but the Weir whatever thingy did not come up with a result:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Last edited:
Ziggy's friend Tommy was chased by a dog on our heath the other day and bolted for half a mile across rough ground. He and his rider could both have been killed. My friend Suzi was so pleased to be alive she didn't get a chance to look at the dog and track down its owner to b*llock him mightily!

I had a situation a month or so ago where I saw the horses take off, came round the corner and for a minute thought it was another PONY in the field. It was a Great Dane and he was chasing Bert and snapping at his legs.

I hit him in the end with a log I picked up tbh. Two young lads of about 11 were with him and one was crying, other apologising profusely.

TBH he was Young and only wanted to Play but I was angry, til I saw the lad crying..........I just told them that if they came this way again to make sure the Dog was on his lead as my lot would probably gang up on him if he got into the field again........I have seen them do it !

newrider.com