Stubbs Hay Roller - updated

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
i splashed out last month and bought 2 Stubbs Hay Rollers for feeding the horses in the field. They arrived yesterday and were put straight into use. Here are Sid and Bella demonstrating how they work:

They are cone shaped, so they don't roll downhill, with a lid which swivels into position and which also has holes for the horse to eat. They hold about 2 biscuits of hay each - you could pack more in if you tried, I just did a simple stuff.

Both horses went for them straight away with no concerns. When the hay is recalcitrant, Bella hits the roller with her front foot. Sid picks it up and shakes it. Each to their own.

I thought that it might be difficult for them to get all the hay out, but they've been filled twice and twice I have found them completely empty. Each time one of the rollers had lost its lid (I suspect a Sid) but the lid wasn't broken. I may need to screw it on more tightly.

I would say they do a good job at keeping the hay clean and together in a field which is very exposed to wind and rain, and encouraging the horse to eat in a natural position. I wouldn't want to have to carry them long distances as they are quite robust, therefore a bit heavy and cumbersome, but as my feeding area is only about 10m from the hay store they will work well for me.

Reactions: Jessey
They are large so even rolling around on the point they would need about 5ft of floor space. Then they would work in a stable.

@Mary Poppins , there's a new horse up in "Cobs - Allrounder" on Horsequest that made me think of you!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
They are large so even rolling around on the point they would need about 5ft of floor space. Then they would work in a stable.

@Mary Poppins , there's a new horse up in "Cobs - Allrounder" on Horsequest that made me think of you!
Is this the one - Dude?
He looks sweet although it seems like he is leaning forward in this photo and it makes me think he rides really on the forehand. Also, he is shown in a grackle noseband which puts me off. If he really were suitable for a novice, why the grackle? I know I am so suspicious and the slightest thing puts me off.

lynn_photo0_270216_480.jpeg

No it wasn't him, let me have a look, it was further down, the little mare "May" .

1642712712878.png

If I was buying for me with money no object I would try Jinx, the lovely dapple grey

1642712801923.png

- he's from the yard where I got Sid! - but Dude looks lovely. I wouldn't care about the noseband, lots of yards stick the same bridle on every horse. If you went to see him you could ask to see him go in a cavesson. But he's a long way from you, up in East Anglia!

I have to agree, most dealers especially just use which ever bridle fits and the noseband means little, and non-dealers a grackle is just a fashion item all too often. I went to buy a new bridle for a TB a couple of years ago, a big and well known tack shop recommended a grackle because they look nice on TB faces :eek: when I said he didn't have any issue with crossing his jaw or opening his mouth she looked at me very confused - obviously actually had no clue why I was saying that.
Little things like tack and the stance I would ask them to send you a video if everything else fits, it's much easier to judge a horse from a video.

No it wasn't him, let me have a look, it was further down, the little mare "May" .

View attachment 110267

If I was buying for me with money no object I would try Jinx, the lovely dapple grey

View attachment 110268

- he's from the yard where I got Sid! - but Dude looks lovely. I wouldn't care about the noseband, lots of yards stick the same bridle on every horse. If you went to see him you could ask to see him go in a cavesson. But he's a long way from you, up in East Anglia!
I will go and look up May, she looks sweet.

I think that Jinx may be a little too much for me. The ad describes him as 'not a boring ride', whereas I very much am looking for what other people would describe as a boring ride. The more boring the better!

I think that Jinx may be a little too much for me. The ad describes him as 'not a boring ride', whereas I very much am looking for what other people would describe as a boring ride. The more boring the better!
Yes absolutely, I wasn't thinking of him as a ride for you, just as a dream for me!

I am now using the hay rollers every day. They are great. I've got better at affixing the lids, so Sid can only take one off occasionally. All the hay comes out and they are much easier to fill than haynets, and field safe too,

It is very dry at present. When it's wet I may need to cart them a bit further up the field.

I really like the look of them, how far do they roll? Just round in a circle or are they the sort of thing that will roll under a fence and far away? I'd only want it for summer as field is far too wet here in winter. Do the horses roll them as sort of defeats the object if ale just stands and eats from it. I used to use haynets that ale would throw about but then the foxes started stealing them, I assume these will be too heavy for a fox to nab? Sorry lots of questions!

I really like the look of them, how far do they roll? Just round in a circle or are they the sort of thing that will roll under a fence and far away? I'd only want it for summer as field is far too wet here in winter. Do the horses roll them as sort of defeats the object if ale just stands and eats from it. I used to use haynets that ale would throw about but then the foxes started stealing them, I assume these will be too heavy for a fox to nab? Sorry lots of questions!
Because they are cone-shaped, they roll around in a circle around the point. That is, they roll unless the horse picks them up and throws them, which Sid and even the comparatively lightweight filly both do.

They do both stand and eat from them, but I think the point is not to exercise the horse but to provide a better, dryer, less wasteful way of feeding hay in the field with a reasonably natural feeding position. They do have to move if they have thrown the roller (q.v.) or kicked or pawed it, as the filly tends to.

They are way too heavy for a fox or even a badger, though a badger could push one. I can carry two full ones easily, one in each hand, but I wouldn't want to have to do it for a long distance.

ETA @Ale, why on earth would foxes steal your haynets????

Because they are cone-shaped, they roll around in a circle around the point. That is, they roll unless the horse picks them up and throws them, which Sid and even the comparatively lightweight filly both do.

They do both stand and eat from them, but I think the point is not to exercise the horse but to provide a better, dryer, less wasteful way of feeding hay in the field with a reasonably natural feeding position. They do have to move if they have thrown the roller (q.v.) or kicked or pawed it, as the filly tends to.

They are way too heavy for a fox or even a badger, though a badger could push one. I can carry two full ones easily, one in each hand, but I wouldn't want to have to do it for a long distance.

ETA @Ale, why on earth would foxes steal your haynets????
Thank you, that's really helpful. Maybe not quite right for us then as ale really does have a tendency to throw things towards fence lines. I like the idea of then moving a little just to encourage some movement, even if it's not much or is dependent on how they use it. I'll have a think about it, I may get a hay ball just for something a bit different.

Our foxes will steal anything, no clue why but I often see them taking something back to their den.

I saw this hay ball idea @Ale, I canā€™t use anything on the ground due to the sand but thought a lower version of this would be good, itā€™s on my list of things to do for this summer
B081E01C-2543-4180-A9D7-59A7FB352223.jpeg

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com