Stubben String Girth

Megan :)

Dec 25, 2007
england
I have a pony with no withers and she is round but not fat just stocky and im having problems with her saddle slipping. I have been advised 2 things firstly to get an anti slip pad and secondly 2 get a stubben string girth. Im not 2 sure about the stubben string girth as i have never seen one if anyone can give me any advice or show me a picture i would really appreciate it.

I've got one and its fantastic. Mostly used on she who has withers but is tempremental as h*ll about having her belly squeezed and this is one girth she has no complaints about. Have tried it on the spherical coblet and its pretty good on her as well, no miracle cure for slipping saddles but does help a bit and better than a lot of girths.

no miracle cure for slipping saddles but does help a bit and better than a lot of girths.
do you know of anything that does help with slipping saddles?

also do those girths pinch because they look like they might pinch with all the different bits of string.

thanks for replying

I have found these to be very good girths. They don't pinch, nothing like the old fashioned nylon string girths of later years that would bunch up at the back of the elbows and pinch.

They wash very well and come out the machine all nice and soft again. I have also found the horse sweats less with this girth. Before I had a Thorrowgood girth and although they said it allows the skin to breath it didn't really help.

With my new pony, I went against my better judgement and bought a Wintec girth, but this cause the saddle to slip quite badly. I have since invested in a Stubben girth (the old one I had was too long) and have initial lunging trials seems to be doing the job.

do you know of anything that does help with slipping saddles?

Stubben girths are pretty good :) Basically anything without elastic at one end which makes things much much worse for most roung horses.

Making saddle fits really well helps since any not quite rightness will make things worse, but the lack of withers all by itself can encourage even the most perfectly fitted saddle to slip.

Thin plain numnah is better than most fancy pads. Sheepskin half pads can help with some slipping IME but makes other saddles worse.

Breastplates are a good thing, I've got a libby's hunting breastplate, they don't totally stop slipping but help a bit and restrict how far the saddle can go.

my last pony was very round and had no withers at all - after spending a month riding on her side (saddle slipping left) and after extensive and expensive searches we found the answer - a stubben string girth and an anti slip pad worked a treat.
Beware with washing the girth though - make sure it is a cool wash or it will shrink like hell! And thats a bu**er with a round pony!!!:eek::D

I'm having a terrible time with my Torsion Treeless on my very round cob due to the saddle slipping sideways and despite trying numerous non slip pads have had no success so far.
As a last resort I have been recommended to use one of these Stubben String Girths with a Barnsby Grip pad. Does anyone know if these girths can be used on a Torsion Treeless?

Thanks in desperation!!!!

The stubbon cord girths do help with slipping saddles due to their wider surface area and split fastening points.

The very round cob I ride has one of the Barnsby grip pads - doesn't stop it slipping completely but has helped a lot. Recommend you try one :)

My mare is horrid to girth, I found a leather lne with elastic both ends in the hope it would help.

Would a stuben string make a lot of difference ?

newrider.com