Struggling when turning a tight corner update

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well my day just gets worse - what with the encounter with the species known as bible bashers.....:stomp:
Chloe seems to be having trouble turning - when we walked her in hand down the yard she sort of fumbled / stumbled - not quite sure how to describe it? She's fine and dandy in herself. No hoof heat. Fine walking in straight lines. Looked okay being turned out in the school apart from when turning in a tight corner. Really puzzled. Think I will video her and email to the vet in the morning. Any thoughts? Can an abscess fester because I did wonder if she was starting with one a couple of weeks ago as she seemed not quite right when OH trotted her up? Also, her legs feel fine - no swellings or lumps plus her mud fever is well under control. Quite puzzled. Be really grateful for any advice or thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited:
An abcess can tke time to buid up and cause intermittent lameness but I haven,t experienced it just ona tight turn, Have seen it with stone bruising when on a turn pressure is put on the bruise area - the other I have seen is with muscle strain - hopefuly it will sort itself quickly.

An abcess can tke time to buid up and cause intermittent lameness but I haven,t experienced it just ona tight turn, Have seen it with stone bruising when on a turn pressure is put on the bruise area - the other I have seen is with muscle strain - hopefuly it will sort itself quickly.

Thanks for the reply. Just had another look - she's gone out for an hour, didn't struggle walking up the hill - but her back foot is lame, as she's putting more weight on the opposite one. Checked her legs for heat again and nothing - no warm hoof either.

Any pulses up? It could be anything really - I've seen it with abcesses, bruises, as an early warning of laminitis, sore muscles etc etc etc. I'd keep an eye on it & if she gets any worse get either the vet or, if you're fairly sure it's foot related, the farrier out.

Any pulses up? It could be anything really - I've seen it with abcesses, bruises, as an early warning of laminitis, sore muscles etc etc etc. I'd keep an eye on it & if she gets any worse get either the vet or, if you're fairly sure it's foot related, the farrier out.

No raised pulses - no heat in legs either. She's well in herself thankfully. She came back down the hill fine about an hour ago. I'm going to walk her down the yard in the morning then get OH to film her on the iphone. I'll email the vet and see what he thinks. I know you can never be sure with lami but she's only been having half days on grass and half in the arena due to her mf. She isn't overweight and has never had it in the past - so fingers crossed on that score.

Just a thought - if it were a muscle strain would it be better for her on flat surfaces? I was just wondering if she'd be better in the arena half days and the front field which is flat.....

If you can put her in a flat paddock then yes, that would probably be better. Rubic is lame on tight circles, particularly when her bad leg is on the inside. It could be anything really. Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks Rubic. It seems that when she has been stood in her box to make it worse. When I skipped her out just now I let her wander the yard and at first she seemed sore / lame but after wandering up and down it seemed much less apparent. Going to film her in the morning coming out - then least the vet will see what I see as if he comes later tomorrow she may well have walked it off again. I don't want to box rest her without his say so.

It is a hard one, I am not one for the vet on the old boy unless I think he is in pain. He is 20 arthritic and stiff if stabled he is already on one bute every other day and no bute the next.

From what I can remember she is not ridden and not that young so being stabled daily can make any lamness seem worse as it will normally if age related work off with walking but this takes longer if stood for a couple of hours.

Chanter is quite bad at the moment his hock is sticking and clicking so the last thing I want to do is box rest.

If she is insured the vet may suggest xrays to see if there is a problem. As with no heat or swelling it is mostly guess work or nerve blocks and or x rays.

Hope she feels better soon xxx

Opened her stable with OH at the ready with the ipad to film her. She seemed to move much better but still sort of hopped / stumbled at the top of the yard.:frown: let her have a wander and on the whole she seemed better, but she keeps resting it from time to time. Have rung the vet and brought forward an appointment we had booked for teeth next week - he's coming Thursdays morning, so hopefully we will know more. It isn't urgent as such and that's the earliest we could get unless it was an emergency, but she is eating, pooping and generally looking okay so I didn't want to ask for them asap - it would have meant them cancelling other people and that didn't seem necessary. She is in the school with the madam and they seem quite happy with soaked hay in the sunshine:biggrin:
Thanks for all the replies - I will just hope she continues to improve until the vet comes - the film of her will help him hopefully.

newrider.com