struggling to get a saddle

shellbell&megs

Retired Groom, I just do it all for free now
Apr 20, 2008
scottish borders
i own a 16hh warmblood x id :). we bought a wintec due to finding no ideal saddles to fit her as she has a high wither. i love the wintec its so comfy to ride (especially on those long hacks) and it also looks good at shows, but unfortunatly i have noticed that the wintec is now somehow to low on the wither which it wasnt before :mad:. i did look when i got my wintec at getting a t4 high wither, but my mum wouldnt let me as she said she had been told when horses had got topline the saddle did not fit and a new saddle had to be bought. i am now looking at another saddle anyone got any good ideas for a high withered horse.

If your wintec fitted before but not now at the front, it's likely that the horse has either dropped weight or muscle in this area allow the saddle to sit lower. Have you noticed this? If it isn't due to a change in diet/grass availability or different work load, then its possible (but not the only thing) that it could be the saddle causing the problem anyway (horse had build muscle up which the saddle then pinched causing it all to drop aware for example).

Your best bet is to get a good saddler/fitter out who can assess your current saddle on your horse - you may not need a new saddle, it may just need reflocking as flock tends to compress over time. If you do need a new saddle, a good saddler/fitter can advise you as to what makes would be best and will probably have a selection for you to try.

no she hasn't dropped any weight at the minute, which is hard not to do in winter. i will do that thankyou very much. we do have a saddler on our farm, but even though she has borrowed our saddle and the gullets many times before without even a thankyou she has not ever metioned giving us the slightest discount when we mentioned getting a saddle fitting and also was going to charge us for petrol even though shes has a horse on the farm!

i looked into getting a treeless but someone told me some treeless saddles were not aloud in competitions. do you no any good makes that are aloud in competition

Yes treeless saddles are allowed in competitions, the more traditional looking ones are more common though.

You could look into the Saddle Company saddles as an alternatiev - I know some people swear by them and others are sworn off them. These are adjustable, although I'm not sure what they would be like for a high withered horse.

Treeless saddle wise, the Fheonix range of saddles are the most traditional looking I know of, but they aren't cheap, unless you're lucky enough to find a second hand one.

Perhaps you can narrow the gullet in your existing Wintec? Maybe a front riser pad?

As has been said, it really depends on why the saddle doesn't fit. I'd be looking for another saddle fitter - gut feel tells me that if that's the attitude she takes with people, her fitting skills might not be up to much. It's hard to find a good one, so perhaps somebody here can recommend one near to you?

In the mean time, if you can get some good photos (from front left & right, both side views, and from behind) of both back and back with saddle, we have some people on here who are great with saddle fit and might be able to give you better advice. :)

shes fitted in the medium narrow at the min, but when i was riding i noticed that it was pinching her slightly, i have the medium tree but i'm worried that it might make it lower on her wither. we both love jumping but i don't want to jump her if the saddle is going to put pressure where it shouldn't.

i have a riser pad but it doesn't seem to make much difference and the padding on it is so thick that it makes less room and makes it pinch her more.
i have a few pictures that i will upload dont know if they are any good, if not will take new ones when i go up tomorrow.

newrider.com