Struggling to find a rug for peculiar shaped pony

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
Hi. I've just posted about my pony's weird conformation and body and shaped and I am finding it difficult to find a rug which fits comfortably without being too big or small if different areas. A 5ft9 rug will fit fine on the shoulder/neck but is far too tight on her bum because its higher then her withers.

How can I get about finding a decent rug for a big-bummed pony.

I like Mark Todd rugs, they have loads of adjustment on the front and have pleanty of room all over. I have the problem that Bo has a little neck so most rugs pull as they slip but with all the extra adjustment he can have a bigger rug and it still fits round his neck. I would agree going up a size soundslike the best plan.

J x

Another vote for Mark Todd, I have similar probs with the Mare and found the adjustments at the front great for fitting to her long deep body (and large bum like her mum's :) )

The new Rambo XL rugs are designed for bigger built horses so would give you plenty of room..they start at 5'9 I believe. Don't know if they would be too big at the chest though...

i had similar issues with my pony (long back, wide chest, big shoulders ...) and had to attach extra straps to our (horseware/rambo) flyrug because it just wouldnt fit.

i found that Shires rugs fit her okay, they seem to have a generous chest.

julia
x

Would agree with muddycob. My boy must have the biggest butt ever!!! Slight exageration somewhat, but is big, and he takes a 5ft 9 inch rug and the Mastas go round this fabulous butt very well, no gaps, well covered and Mastas are long enough as well for the 'rounder' figure!!!!

stan wears rambos, he has a huge chest and a big bum as well, although they are pretty even, but even so stan is 14hh and the 6fts only just fit his neck

newrider.com