struggling to find a nice sharer

I had trouble finding a sharer full stop! I mostly got enquiries from young teenagers seeking confidence-givers, which my horse definately is not! I did get one funny email from a fourteen year old who contradicted herself a lot and, reading between the lines, didn't really seem to know much about riding and horses at all :confused: .

i have been trying now since august with no luck,
there always seems to be people advertising wanting a share, but nothing local,
my horse isnt the easiest horse to ride, but certainly not the hardest, he just requires a capable rider who is confident,
not someone that is going to bounce about, and pull him in the mouth etc,
i was always lead to believe essex had quite a high population of equine folk!!!!!

I used to live in Essex (Maldon), and there did seem to be a lot of horsey folk. I had several friends at school who had their own horses, and there seemed to be a riding school just about everywhere you went! :D
Have you tried advertising at the schools? Often people looking for shares are those who are are quite experienced at lessons and wanting something to give them a bit of "ownership experience".:)

that is a good idea, i havnt yet done that, ive done the usual, feed/tack shops etc,
but i may well do that, were not far from maldon, in wickford, so we have loads of riding schools local.

thank you:)

Hey,
I am now a sharer.
I advertised looking for horses in my area, and explaining about myself, my experience and about horses etc.
I only got one reply. Luckily it has worked out well. The lady had a horse called Xena, which had not been ridden since the start of October. The owner was going back into full time work in 2007 aswell.
I was looking for horses in my area (as close as possible) to ride after school.
Things have worked out brilliantly, i go up tuesday and wednesday and ride then put her in after. Then i go up on saturdays and ride etc.
I will be 15 next monday. I think if you are looking for a sharer some teenagers are genuine, but you will get alot saying they can do all this and that, but they might not be that good.

I once rang up about a horse to ride, which was advertised in the newspaper. It wasnt suitable (17hh) but she said she had lots of people wanting to do it and she was going to interview them.

You will need somebody who will happily do mucking out, poo picking, grooming and the stable chores ... not just the riding. :)

I would definately advertise in the newspaper or on the internet.
good luck xxx

I'm on the other end of it - can't find a horse to share, and no one wants to send their horse all the way to Scotland on loan. (Why are all the nice loan horses south of the border????):p

totally agree!!! even if horses are for loan up here the owners want to keep them at the old yard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever~Autumn View Post
I'm on the other end of it - can't find a horse to share, and no one wants to send their horse all the way to Scotland on loan. (Why are all the nice loan horses south of the border????)
totally agree!!! even if horses are for loan up here the owners want to keep them at the old yard!
Actually, I would want to keep my horse at my yard ;) . A lot of people who let their horses out on loan do it through necessity rather than because they actually want to, and I would certainly not let my horse leave the yard. There are so many stories now about people who take horses away for loan, and then sell them on and tell the owner that they were put to sleep or something :eek: . I would also want to be able to see that my horse is happy and healthy, something which can be incredibly difficult to check up on if your horse is moved away.

i advertised once over for a mare of mine when i didn't really have time for 2 horses but didn't really want to part with her

what a waste of time i found it

i was looking for aomeone who rode reasonably well as whilst on the whole she's a novice ride she is forward going & can get a little strong on a gallop out , but easy to handle if you know how

everyone i had come had made themselves out to be reasonable riders , including a girl who reckoned she had her stage 2 , but couldn't maintain a rising trot & didn't want to canter ,& a guy who already owned a horse but had lost his confidence a bit , ok i think , she'd be ok with that , the guy again couldn't do rising trot , couldn't get a canter ( this is on a horse that when sj as soon as the bell rang went straight to her sj canter , all you had to do is think it!) & looked like a sack of spuds dropped on a horse

basically i would have been worried to let any of them ride alone in the menage let alone hack out!!

i gave up

I'm looking for a sharer at the moment, I think I may advertise in my local paper - I wouldnt know what to say to someone if they were awful I am quite bad at confruntation like that!..

I think it might be best to over exagerate Kai, then only confident people would apply.

How would you phrase an advert in not so many words !? ( words cost money in the paper haha!!! :D )

When I was looking for a horse to share last year I thought I would never find one. I guess it just takes time to find the right combination. Mind you if he behaved like he did last night on a windy evening after 5 days of being shut in his box with mud fever I might not have taken him on!
This is a difficult time of year, it's dark and miserable and no one has any money after Christmas. But there are at least 3 competent sharers at our yard so they are out there. One group is people from abroad, very experienced riders who are in the UK. Not settled enough to think about buying their own horse here but wanting more than riding schools can give them. Not sure how you would reach this group tho'.

I've just had my notification that my ad is about to expire, so here's the link for as long as it works, and I have copied and pasted the main details below. I went for the idea of details about how green he is and that he can be daft would put off novices... apparently not :rolleyes: . Might give you some ideas?

Sharer wanted for 15.2 TB to stay at yard near New Marske with good hacking and facilities. Lovely, friendly boy and easy to handle but can be strong and excitable when ridden. Ex-racehorse, so still quite green. Currently getting fit again following illness. Requires sympathetic, confident rider for 3-4 times a week, with contribution to costs. Please email for further info.

looking for a sharer

i am curently interviewing for a sharer - advertised on lots of web sites - have had quite a lot of responses - mostly from people in their 20s who want to ride at wk ends - I've got 2 coming this wk end to try horse out - will probably go with gut feelings - in some ways its easier for me cos my horse is at livery so the sharer doesn't have to do any real horse care but i am struggling to find someone who can A] ride well enough & B] aford to pay for the share - people seem to have 1 or the other - does anyone have a sample or pro-forma sharer contract that i can have a look at. I think web sites are probably the best way forward altho it does cost a bit but you do get to put yr message out their - good luck to all the other searchers:)

There seems to be quite a few for scotland in the ad trader.

I think sometimes its hard for the owners to let go too. Theres a few that i know would benefit from sharers but don't want to allow someone else to be with their horse so to say.

I was looking for a riding for chinook jumping wise and put out some feelers but never actually knew if this is what i actually wanted! and keep swaying about it.

I wouldnt know what to say to someone if they were awful I am quite bad at confruntation like that!..

I think it might be best to over exagerate Kai, then only confident people would apply.

i basically just said that i had other people booked in & would get back to them , & then didn't or if they rang me said i had found someone more suitable , eg really local or could do just the days i preerred etc

bit naughty i know but i didn't think it was my place to say , 'look you can't ride well enough to be let loose with a horse imo'

& , don't go assuming that confident people can ride , i've seen plenty of confident 'riders' where confidence far outweighs skill!!

I have just started a new girl riding my horse during the week while I am at work - not really a share as she doesnt pay or do chores, just ride. She seems nice, but I advertised for a while and got very few responses, and those I did get werent suitable. One girl started a while ago, but only lasted 3 rides. It seems quite difficult.

The problem with sharers are the type of people they are. They usually (there are exception of course) either don't have the money to have their own horse (and therefore often can't afford the share), dont have time for their own horse (and therefore often can't do the days offered) or are too novice for their own horse. I'd have said the majority of shares fall into the novice catogery. Which doesn't bode well for all those people who want and 'experinced' rider. People that 'experienced' have their own horse! And then there are the people too young and their parents won't buy them a horse. They often ride well and are confident but no-one wants a young sharer:rolleyes:

I had quite a few sharer for Brodie. I had anyone who was interested come and see. A suprising number where too heavy for him (I eventually put a weight limit in my ad) and about half were too novice/nervous for him. But about 5 people were suitable. On girl was unreliable and didn't come up when asked, the other lost interest and one lovely girl who was too heavy to ride long-reined and lunged him regularl but moved south. The other two I still have a year later. One is 18yrs and rides him by herself and is great with him. The other is only 13yrs and orginally had to come up with her parents but has proved herself trustworthy and now comes up by herself. She's still not allowed to ride him by herself though.

You do need to let go and relax your grip on then though. So many people are very 'mine!mine!mine!' about their horse, which is shame since otherwise the horse could give pleasure to someone else too. And get lots of extra love and attention.

In case anyone is interested or needs pointers for writing their own, I have attached the Share Agreement that I wrote up when I was looking for someone to share Salsa. Realistically, it needs looking over by a legal professional to ensure it is okay, but because I never found a sharer anyway, I didn't bother getting it checked. I used to type up similar documents when I worked as a Legal secretary, and I used ideas that were on Jacob's legally drawn up sale agreement, and an agreement I had for one of my loan horses a few years ago. It probably comes across as an incredibly paranoid document, but after the number of problems that people who share have posted from both sides, I wanted to make sure that it was there to set everything out on paper. I put the times/dates as "The HORSE is to be used as a riding horse for [three/four] days a week as agreed", because I felt there was no point putting "Mon, Weds, Fri", etc, because I felt I would need to be flexible with the sharer and swap days around if necessary to fit us both.

I hope some of you who are looking for sharers find it useful :) . Obviously, you will need to change Salsa's details to your own :D

Attachments

• Share Agreement.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 44
newrider.com