Straw for foaling??

Casper

**TUROE CLOVER**
Oct 24, 2001
Galway, Ireland.
Visit site
Was talking to a lady yeaterday who told me to put down straw when my horses are going to foal, as it's nicer for the birth???
I usually use shavings on rubber mats!
What do you guys think??

I always let them foal outside, then once baby is up and about, take them inside if you must!

You run the risk of all kinds of infectiosn from indoors, out doors is much better.

Rubber mats for slipy foal feet are awful. If you have rubber mats make sure the WHOLE floor is covered with straw, paper, shavings or something or foals tend to skitter about all over the place.

you definitely need a deep, full bed on top of the mats, and leave it deep litter until foal is a week or so old at least. as wally says, rubber is slippery. straw is traditional in case the foal inhales or swallows shavings, but with smaller ponies, the straw can be very hard for the newborn to walk in or get up in, as it tangles round their legs. we use shavings and our vets are happy wit that - we disinfect and deep litter it (about 8-12 inches of bed) with clean shavings a week or so before baby is due, and only mum goes in there so it has her 'bugs' and only her bugs, as baby has no immune system at first, but will be used to mum's. we deep litter so it forms a solid base, easier for baby to get up and down on.

we have them in for foaling because it's easier to watch, and easier and more accessible for the vet if needed, and lights are there. in the worst case scenario of a 3am foaling on a dark night that needs assistance, it's easier for the vet to help if they're accessible and somewhere with lights. they go out in the daytime, in a paddock with chicken wire round the bottom half of the fence so that if she foals in the day, she can't pop baby out on the other side of the fence!

thanks for the words of advice.

She will be in as Clover will have a foaling alarm and is due 19th of march, too cold to have a foal running around outside, so he will be in so he doesn't catch cold!

I have rubber matting too and usually use shavings but always let mare foal on straw, its cheaper to throw away as when those waters break theres a lot of wet! Mares also tend to be wetter when with foal as they drink more for milk production and therefore wee more too. My foal is now three weeks old and we will be changing back to shavings shortly.

newrider.com