Strangles Antibodies

WinterBlue

Mar 29, 2021
Hi there!
I was looking to move yards and they asked for a strangles test. We got my boy tested (blood test) and it came back as him having antibodies. The vet recommended a flush but I’m just wondering will he be flushed then retested? What’s the probability of him being clean afterwards? Should I be panicking? And does this mean he has strangles?

I have no idea but will be interested to read replies to this. What does the flushing involve? Is it as invasive as it sounds? And is it quite common practice these days? Sorry I'm asking questions and you've already asked one lol
Hello and welcome btw :)

Reactions: WinterBlue
I have no idea but will be interested to read replies to this. What does the flushing involve? Is it as invasive as it sounds? And is it quite common practice these days? Sorry I'm asking questions and you've already asked one lol
Hello and welcome btw :)
Hello and thank you!
It involves sedation and a tube being put up their nasal passage and into the lymph glands so yes to invasive. I’m not sure if it’s common practice but I’d imagine so

Reactions: Trewsers
I think if horses have antibodies it is fairly common practice now, and in all probability the new yard wouldn't accept him without a flush and retest. I think the best thing to do is write down your questions and then ring your vet and work through the list with him - really he should have gone through it with you at the time he said about a flush, but sometimes I think they assume we know more than we do.

I think if horses have antibodies it is fairly common practice now, and in all probability the new yard wouldn't accept him without a flush and retest. I think the best thing to do is write down your questions and then ring your vet and work through the list with him - really he should have gone through it with you at the time he said about a flush, but sometimes I think they assume we know more than we do.
He’s been booked for the flush and retest on Wednesday, I was hoping to just get a few questions answered as I don’t want to annoy the vet or be too overwhelming as it’s his wife’s yard we want to move to. The yard won’t accept him till he’s clear which is understandable and I already knew that ☺️

Asking sensible questions shouldn't annoy your vet, and your questions are sensible. Or maybe text him asking him to call you when it's convenient to him as you've a couple of questions you'd like to ask before his visit.

Apparently 90% of the horse population with test positive for antibodies. Just means they have been exposed to it but may not have had it properly nor carry it.

Gutteral pouch wash and test normally comes back negative ime :)

Antibodies are what the body produces to fight off the bacteria, that could be a past exposure to it not a current one, but you won’t know until they flush and check it directly.
The flush is pretty routine and not invasive, if you’ve ever done a sinus rinse on yourself it’s the same sort of thing.
If you’re worried call your vet and ask your questions, it’s not unreasonable as it’s a pretty big deal if he did come back positive so you’re right to be wary until you know 🙂

Reactions: carthorse
My horse had to have this done. It was 10 years ago now but the way my vet described it was that he had ‘yellow bits’ in his guteral pouches that had to be flushed out or he would be a carrier for strangles. He was sedated with a tube stuck up his nose and at the time I remembered feeling quite shocked due to the amount of water used. I think we had a wait at least a week to retest but things may have changed since then. It was very stressful and I asked my vet a100 questions. I hope it goes well and that the test comes back clear afterwards.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com