Strangles - a lesson learned

gordysgirl

Dec 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Visit site
This is really just a lesson learned from a sad story.
My best friend recently sold her mare to a friend. About 6 weeks ago the mare came down with a virus, the vet tested for strangles, which came back negative. The mare was basically left to rest & recover, no particular diagnosis other than 'virus' was given. My friend went to see the mare last week & was shocked to see how lethargic she was, althought she had weight on her, she was lifeless & just stood at the back of her stable. She was also suprised to hear the girl was still riding the horse.
In the 6 weeks of her being unwell, the vet had only been out twice & the girl had not made much effort to get them out. She simply believed the mare would just get better, presumably on the vets advice!
Sadly the day after my friend visited the mare, she had a call to say that she had been rushed to liverpool with impaction colic for surgery - the prognosis was not good. That evening we found out the mare had to be euthanased on the operating table - it wasn't colic, it was another form of strangles which hadn't shown up on the tests (i didnt realise there were other forms of strangles). She had developed a massive strangles tumour in her intestines, way too big to be operated on.
What I am trying to say is that when we buy a horse it is our responsibility to care for them & ensure they are getting the best possible treatment (I know most of us would do this automatically!). If you are not convinced enough is being done, put your foot down & make sure it is. The sad reality of this case was, that if she had been examined again sooner, she may have had the opportunity to recover & would not have suffered so extensively.
Please please please, if your horse is not right - get him checked out, as leaving it a little bit longer can sometimes be just too late.

RIP Dionne.

Actually I've just read an article on strangles which seems to say that bastard strangles is just a complication of strangles. Either way if the mare had received vetinerary attention more promptly, she may have been saveable. :mad:

RIP poor horsie - bastard strangles is nearly always fatal and it's hard to know if they have it! This poor little yearling I knew had it, it had puss stuff that smelt like sick coming out from it's legs and everywhere poor thing couldn't get up it was so weak, owner was on holiday, everyone eventually got him up and he survived.

Actually I've just read an article on strangles which seems to say that bastard strangles is just a complication of strangles. Either way if the mare had received vetinerary attention more promptly, she may have been saveable. :mad:

Bastard strangles is when it goes to other parts of the body not just the lymph nodes like organs like the liver etc. then if the abbcesses burst there it's nearly aways fatal.

We had a horse that survived bastard strangles, he ended up with an abcess in his liver, but he pulled through with hard nursing care and vet treatment.

newrider.com