Strange stopping tendencies

*Hannah*

Mar 17, 2006
Yorkshire
Hi i am having a problem with my new welsh pony. I have only had him a few weeks but a few habbits are arising that are becoming annoying! He is generally good to handle although slightly nervy at times,(but wont let me touch his ears, another problem!). When i bring him in from the field he is desperate to get into the barn until he reaches a certain spot and then just stops dead and wont move. Coming out of the barn is the same. I thought perhaps he was frightened of gates but he is fine with all the others around the farm. He has started to do it when i ride him aswell. We can be quite happily trotting along and then all of a sudden, for no reason at all he just stops dead. He also does this when i ask for canter. He is not a plod though, quite spirited and fast so i dont think it is lazyness!
Any sollutions? I am getting desperate! I stood for half an hour in the snow today trying to coax him into the nice warm cosy barn!

there must be something that he's not happy about. read Temple Grandins "animals in translation" for a good account of how animals see the world. is there any light/shade, bright plastic, moving thing, anything that would look like a threat to the pony?
i can't explain it that well so i'll give you an example of what my mare does-in daytime she goes into her stable fine, at night when the lights are on, they cast a bright light through the door onto the concrete making it shiny, especially if its wet she huffs and puffs and wont go in for about 5 mins.
she doesn't like stepping onto the light bit from the dark bit.
your pony sounds lovely :D
just edited to say i forgot the most important bit, i'm sure youre doing this already but-give him lots of reassurance and be patient, he's still settling in.
good luck with him

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice! I decided to show him all the things around the barn today (machinery, straw pile, and the cows!) to give him a proper look at his new home. it occured to me that he has been walking past these things and never had a chance to investigate and make sure they are not scary! After that he seemed better. I also carried a small crop with me just to remind him that we were going in a forward movement. I tapped him in the girth area (not hard as i dont really agree with crops, just a small flick) after we had been stationary for about a minute and said 'walk on'. He didn't get frightened and it seemed to work, just a lttle reminder, and better than tugging on the lead rope! Hopefully after doing this a few times he will improve. I hope this was a good idea, i read it in a training manual for young horses. Thank You! Hannah

Hey Hannah, my 3 yr old mare is doing this as well. I'm taking it as she's just young, and unsure, and it takes time for her to build up trust in me that I do in fact know that all these scary things aren't dangerous. So, I'm doing the same as you - I let her stop and stare for a short while without hassling her - she gets harrassed if she tries to step away from anything - then when she's had her down time, I ask her gently to go forward, and that cue accelerates up until it's quite annoying. This is working real well with my mare ... but - I don't know how much patience I would have with 1/2 an hour in the snow !! Rather you than me

newrider.com