Strange man asking questions - Farley Hill, Berks Area

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
One of my fellow liveries told me that a man driving a green van stopped her as she was going to bring her horse in and was asking some pretty dodgy questions . . . including "how much is your horse worth" . . . there are alot of private yards and liveries around us (on the Berks/Hants border) so I wanted to flag this to you guys.

The good news is that our boys are all in fields next to the YO's bungalow during the day and on the alarmed yard in the barns at night. The mares are currently up the lane during the day, including an 8-month-old filly, but will moved to the fields overlooked by housing.

A little worried as Kal is not freeze/bald-marked - but he is microchipped and passported. He's such a dope-on-a-rope that he'd come to anyone holding a head collar.

The other good news is that we have two yard dogs who bark ALOT when anyone strange sets foot on the yard and resident yard geese who also kick up a stink.

Scary stuff! Look out folks.

N

That is worrying but at least you are aware and are telling plenty of people, just keep being vigilant. It may have just been somebody being nosey - you do get folk who ask odd questions like that!

Yeah . . . worrying. Could just be someone being nosey . . . but the "what is your horse worth" question is alarming. I'm a horse-lover and if I were admiring someone else's horse, it's the LAST question I would ever think of asking! And it's the thing that rings alarm bells.

Good thing is Kal is very ordinary looking - particularly in his big NZ rug (from neck to knees) with his face all muddy. Apparently this chap was very interested in the coloured horses . . . which means the wee filly would be a prime target.

We have several lovely coloureds on our yard. We have alerted our YOs and other liveries. Just want to make sure other horse owners in the area are aware - just in case this guy is on the lookout for horses to steal.

N

It was a green van (like a posties van), man gave his name as "Gary."

If I get any further detail from the livery who talked to him, I'll post them here.

N

newrider.com