Strained fetlock - ok to bandage?

Zingy

Nov 18, 2001
Visit site
The vet came out yesterday as Yog was hopping around on 3 legs, turns out he's got a strained fetlock. Not sure how he did it seeing as he was walking at the time! He's got to stay on bute for 10-14 days and go on 'box' rest (ie little electric fenced off bit in the field). The vet said though that he'd normally strap his leg up, but wouldn't as the bandage would get wet. Is that a problem though? Not sure (and didn't think to ask at the time) if there would be a problem with the bandage becoming too tight if it got wet, or if he was just bothered that the bandage would end up full of mud! I tried putting boots on him last night to give him some support, but they're neoprene so I can't leave them on all the time and they make his legs very sweaty. Bandages would give better support as well, so is it ok to bandage it?

If it gets wet, then it would be very very heavy. That could be a problem since he's already having some issues with that leg; lugging around a heavy wet bandage could make it worse.

Is there a way to keep him dry?

A gelding on my livery yard has just recovered from a strained fetlock, he was on bute for a short period but other than that he was just turned out as usual (no riding obviously). He wasn't bandaged and he's recovered 100%, so you may not need to bandage.

If you feel that you do need to though, I've known of someone bandage a pony that was on turnout (the pony wouldn't be stabled, she'd have done herself worse injury). Whilst the bandage did get wet it didn't seem to cause any problems as long as it was checked and reapplied daily, using a clean bandage. My only worry would be that the bandage could get tighter once it had become wet and then dried out. I'd probably tape some plastic or something over the bandage to keep it dry, much like you would with a hoof that was poulticed. Should keep the bandage dry without causing problems to the leg.

Thanks for the plastic idea - I might try it. He has to be out in the field seeing as I haven't got a stable (except for dire emergencies!), and though the field is dry at the moment there are some showers forecast, so they're the major problem. I was mainly worried about the bandage tightening - to be honest I hadn't thought about the weight of it, but given how he is with it it would make a big difference. He might have to go out sporting an asda bag :eek:

Bebe, I do sometimes think my vets work on the side of caution (and they do like prescribing box rest!). It's interesting to hear that pony was just turned out on bute - makes me a bit more sure it will be a fairly straightforward recovery.

99% of lamness is unspecific and will clear in a week or so with a pain killer and anti inflammitory.

I never call the vet for an inspecific lamness as it nealry....if not always clears up on its own with no bandage or box rest....last time a vet said box rest Magnús nealry killed himself and did less damage out in 50 acres.

If the vet seems not at all worried then leave well alone and it'll come right in no time.

Now I've said that the next incident of a lame horse will go on and on forever!:eek: :(

MInd you I do have small horses who tend to have less wear and tear on their joints and bones than big horses. Bigger horses do tend towards having more problems.

I was speaking to an international driving judge and 4 in hand driving champion. She drives a team of Welsh A's. Her husband drives BIG horses. She says in 20 years of competeing in driving trials 4 in hand she has never had a days lamness from her ponies, her husband's horses are knocking themselves or pulling something every other day of the week in competition. As she said 16 legs all going like crazy and they never hurt themselves or each other.

newrider.com