Storm is in the dog-house with OH and myself...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I know I shouldn't take it personally but I have done this time!
This morning we turned them both out - nothing unusual - but Storm double-barrelled Chloe for no good reason!
It was horrid - I don't think any damage was done, apart from it broke my heart to watch, cos Chloe being the big gentle bear that she is, just stood there and moved over. So sad, no retaliation at all. What shall I do? Shall I split them up? It has been over a month of them being together now and they seem to rub along, well, so long as Chloe keeps out of Storm's way. I think this morning she was just in the way? Storm was particularly bad tempered I think with the rain and hail - she kept trying to hid behind me - using me as a human shield!lol.
Bad girl. OH is very upset - he is getting quite fond of Chloe, she has a deep growly nicker that she reserves just for him in a morning. Why oh why can't they just be ok together?
Should I partition the fields off do you think this would help? Was going to leave them be, because I thought things would settle, but Storm just isn't giving an inch.
Any thoughts please? Chloe is so sweet and looks so sad. Half the time she just wants to eat and the weird thing is, she dotes on STorm, you can tell she wants to "hang around" with her. Help!!!!!

Archie is just the same with Rocky and TBH if Rocky wanted to - he could batter Archie hooves down - but he doesnt - although I sometimes really wish that he would!

I would only split them if Storm is actually hurting Chloe - Rocky gets upset if he's parted from Archie - figure that one out as I sure can't:redface:

My two have been together for over a year and although it has got better - Archie is very much the "boss" and feels the need to remind Rocky at least once a day.

Just wondered if I ought to split them now before any real damage gets done!!! This morning was not damaging but am really worried more bad will happen.........

On Monday Mays field buddy double barrelled May, twice, as I was leading her out to the field.. All she did was move out the way.. And walked off with me.. Yet not 5 minutes later, her friend had gone off down the field and there she was whining and trotting after her.. They have been together for 4 years and they hate to be apart from each other but May regularly bares the brunt of her friend in a strop.. Sometimes it's because she is in the way or hasn't moved in the direction she has been told with ear and head movements so then comes teeth then legs.. and I am really careful not to put her into spaces that she feels uncomfortable with... It took me a while to learn her body language for when she was trying to tell me this but it's safer to only lead one and let the other follow outside the bubble than to keep hold of them both.

She also has a sad look on her face.. Is this a cob look we are putting human emotions to?

Long winded way sorry of just saying I think that's what the boss does?!

Thanks Volcy - I kinda "know" deep down that Storm is boss now that Joe has gone and I am going to have to learn to watch her and Chloe interact and yes, sometimes it looks bad.....but even so........You're probably right too about Chloe, I am definitely one for humanising horses - no doubt about that!!!!!
I shall have to be more careful I think when I turn them out in a morning, what it is, they are in a large field divided by leccy tape, well, OH leads Chloe out and when he removes her head-collar she just puts her head down wherever she has been walked to if you will. Storm usually is behind (she likes to "drive" Chloe from behind!) and I took her headcollar off, but obviously, she was too close for comfort to Chloe!

Wonder if it is just a mare thing? JOe was boss - and he never raised a hoof to her - didn't need to! He had everything under control with just a pinned back ear (just the one) or a nod of the head - a very cool customer our Mr JOe was...........

Might be worth looking about how you let them off in into the field, my friend always walks well into the field as she is generally first in to give May adequate running space just in case!

Definitely think it's a mare thing, the two boys who spend the winter separated from the girls just give each other a look and off they go..

Might be worth looking about how you let them off in into the field, my friend always walks well into the field as she is generally first in to give May adequate running space just in case!

Definitely think it's a mare thing, the two boys who spend the winter separated from the girls just give each other a look and off they go..

Yeah, definitely going to make sure we leave PLENTY of room before taking head collars off tomorrow..........

Storm sounds just like Roxy. She is a bad tempered moo sometimes, nearly always towards horses, especially her favourite field mate who she clearly likes to have around - just not too close. If I'm trying to get Roxy in or I'm turning her out & Megs (other horse) is nearby she'll give her evils, ears back and such like. But if Megs is taken out or I'm returning Roxy to the field after being out for a bit they'll call for each other & sometimes Roxy will go running up to her - even if only to give her a bit of a wallop!

Mares are strange creatures especially when exerting their dominance over one another. I think I would just leave them to it Trews but like you said, ensure you give them both plenty of space when leading/turning out - the last thing you want to happen is for a kick to be badly aimed & end up getting you. It could also be a territorial thing in that Storm is being protective of you, in that you are HER person, not Chloe's?

I know Roxy, I don't want to end up getting a wallop!!! She'd never do it to me intentionally, but if I'm in the wrong place..........
Flipping mares......I know I keep saying it but Chloe is such a sweetie, OH is in love with her.....hehehehee. She has the most gorgeous deep growly "voice" I do love her.............
Storm is quite protective of me, at night I cannot devote too much attention to Chloe or Storm "sulks" (only because she convinces herself she's getting more food than her!)

Podge did this once to Minnie and I was so upset with him. But Trews, horses will be horses and if this is only round the gate when people are around then I would not change anything unless it becomes obvious she is kicking her head in all the time.

Minnie and Sam share leadership, when Minnie wants to be boss she is, and when Sam insists he wants a turn she puts up a fight until she does give in. Every day is different in my field, so they so mock kick around feed times or in close proximity daily...:happy:

Yes, it is only around the gate, so far I've not seen Storm deliberately chasing her non-stop to kick her..........!
I will be more careful tomorrow.............
(I did wonder if it might be because there isn't much grass, and when Spring comes they'll be better?)

I`d say give it a bit more time, especially if it was just in the gate hole too. It is all still relatively new in the grand scheme of things, and i`d agree with leading in a bit further so they have more space. It`s settle, i`m sure ... Good to hear Mr Trews is smitten though :happy:

June batters the :poop: out of jazz all the time!!

She is in charge and likes to remind him

He does sometimes deserve it though ... Like when she was having a roll and he jumped on her earlier!

I too would keep them together for now, they haven't been together that long so the boundaries are probaby still being set out. Puzzle used to do this all the time to Bella, it was horrid to watch Puz have a real nasty go a little skinny baby, she would really charge then try to kick - but baby learnt her place and all Puz has to do is look in her direction and Bella knows what she means. Funnily enough Chloe will actually feel more secure once she's firmly of the opinion that Storm is the boss as it takes lots of responsibilty away from her, just keep an eye on them for now to watch that it doesn't turn into full on bullying and maybe adjust how they are handled to suit their relationship?

And the sagea continues.......
OH discovered a bit tear / rip in Chloe's rug this morning, looks like madam has been using it to chew on - I think what looks like she has been biting her and has grabbed a mouthful of rug instead!

Last night Storm's manners were dreadful, she took a HUGE lump out of my BACK on the way from the field! All because I would not let her charge at Chloe (was holding the gate open for OH to come through) and she tried to leap and get a nip at Chloe, well she took a chunk from me instead. She got reprimanded there and then, so I think that will have done the trick;
its almost like when I first got her 7 years ago, back to rude manners and such!!!!!! I hope she settles soon, I got to the stage years ago where she was so dangerous biting wise, I had to strap bristley brushes to my arms where I knew she'd bite me! She drew blood on countless occasions.

Seems like having Chloe has well and truly upset the apple cart..........

Oh Trews - sounds as though she really is pushing the boundries at the moment:frown:

You are not kidding! When she cannot bite Chloe - she bites me instead! Each night when they are being tucked up with their nets, if she sees Chloe over the stable door, she pins her ears back and bites me or OH!!!

Had her on a calmer a while back - wondering whether to shell out for it again? Since she's come off it things have got worse. Just a bit pricey at £25 a pop! It only lasts a month too.

Ooh herd politics eh! Funny you mention this trewsers as I was pondering a possible thread about it the other day. You wonder if chloe is happy and ok with storm being a bossy mare to her and I do think to some extent we humanise things and worry when we shouldn't. I think it feels more intense because it's a herd of two, where if there were more horses then she wouldn't seem like the underdog all the time. Not suggesting that you should get another horse but just trying to rationalise that this normal behaviour doesn't mean that you should split them up. Flip has had a few chunks taken out of him and a lovely hoof shape on his side but he's learnt the lay of the land and theyre tougher than they look (although I guess it's not so good when it involves damaging a rug lol - maybe try some of the spray stuff that makes it taste bad to other horses?)
Anyway, I have similar concerns for flipo in with his fieldmate a very bolshy Arab. The Arab is a good horse and is respectful of humans but demands your attention and shoos flip away. When he's bored he'll frog march flipo round and round the field and at feed time he gives flip hell for leather. What did console me one day is that for the most part he just quietly moves out the way but on one particular occasion he double barrelled back and I think it made the Arab sit up and take notice!
I worry that flipo doesn't like his fieldmate. He loves grooming with other horses but never does it with the Arab unless forced to by him - he never approaches him. I guess I won't know if they are a good pair until I move him with other horses and see how he interacts with them.
Sorry for the waffle I'd just maybe make sure that storm still respects that you're boss as she's trying to do a shifty round with the herd politics. Hope they both settle down eventually.

Sorry for the waffle I'd just maybe make sure that storm still respects that you're boss as she's trying to do a shifty round with the herd politics. Hope they both settle down eventually.

Thanks for the reply - I hope they settle down, Chloe does not seem to mind particularly being bossed about, but its quite another thing when Storm sees me as part of her "herd" and tries to dominate me! Cheeky thing as she is, honestly, she has a face like butter wouldn't melt and is only 15hh, not like she's a huge warmblood or anything................
I guess we have to remember that its a big change for her - afterall the years spent living with good old Mr Joe.............

newrider.com