stopping on the way home

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Ceryn has been going out further now (small hacks) and we seem to have developed a 'i wont wait' syndrome. Down our private road she halts beautifully from weight aids and a little bit of hand, when out 'hacking' on the way home she will not halt at all, its head down, head up, pull through, anything so she doesnt have to stop, so i turn her and place her in the spot I asked her to halt untill she does (then the welsh streak kicks in and she puts her mule face on and says 'well you wanted me to stand, im standing, and your not going to make me move!' :rolleyes: ), but I really need her to be able to stop and wait incase a car comes past.
Anymore ideas how I can help her understand? She stops nicely in a rope halter, can sometimes wiggle a bit when she gets inpatient but usually very good in-hand:)
Tasha

teehee my mare does this too, she's opinionated about standing still and stomps off in a right huff if she thinks i've asked her to stand for too long.her stomp off is quite amusing :D

like yours, she's ok in hand

i get her to stand in all the passing places along the one track rode i ride her on when no cars are about and just increase the time so that she doesn't strop but i still get my way too

eventually she'll get the message

well the others all got the message so i assume she will (touches wood :))

i don't over do the "you must stand" attitude, i make it a kind of a game when they are babies, i know Ceryn is older but she's still a baby in ridden terms :D it seems funny calling older horses babies, but i do if they're just starting :)

mine likes to try and potter off home no matter what (she doesnt dare do more than a jog though, she knows she isnt allowed!). i found bribery (yes, i know ... but if it works for pony, why not!) quite useful :D ie. i make her stop on the way home and if she stops and stands still, i'll slip her a polo. she understood that quite quickly ... only that now sometimes she'll stop and looks round at me eagerly awaiting her polo, ahem :) but thats better than not stopping at all!

Julia
x

thatn might work with Ceri, shes very food orientated:D I think thats why she like to go home, she gets to munch on the grass while I untack her:D

notpoodle said:
mine likes to try and potter off home no matter what (she doesnt dare do more than a jog though, she knows she isnt allowed!). i found bribery (yes, i know ... but if it works for pony, why not!) quite useful :D ie. i make her stop on the way home and if she stops and stands still, i'll slip her a polo. she understood that quite quickly ... only that now sometimes she'll stop and looks round at me eagerly awaiting her polo, ahem :) but thats better than not stopping at all!

Julia
x

ummm will try that with Bonnie
she may spend the whole ride with a bent neck just to see in case i've got a sweetie for her :D

petal is impatient about stopping onthe way home too - drives me up the wall. i won;t go until she stops fidgeting - so she stands, wriggles, tosses her head, wriggles a bit more, waves a foreleg, then finally stands - as soo nas she has stood for a few seconds she gets a pat and we go on.

you must be consistent, praise when she does as you want and not when she doesn't - she must know the difference between good and bad behaviour.

i think i'll get there with bonnie Mehitabel, she's only just started her ridden work so i like to give them a bit of encouragement before getting too insistant

it works for me in my situation, i have to hack out alone so i tend to avoid confontations

all the others i started stand like good girls and boys for cars, they went through this stage too

i don't think it is an unimportant part of their education :)

notpoodle said:
@ mehitabel: angel is much keener on polos than pats, ahem :eek: she'll stand dead still when she knows there's something in it for her.

Julia
x
i think Bonnie will agree with Angel on that one.

she's a b*ggar when it comes to her lovely tummy :D

newrider.com