Stomping (&) Grooming??

LaurenEff

Ponies. ღ Horses. ღ
Dec 21, 2007
NorthEast
A new pony at our RS tends to stomp (bad habit) and was wondering how you would go about picking up his feet? As will be grooming etc. and if i groom him i think id become quite nervous :confused:

Advice please :)

When you go to run your hand down its leg, start up high at the shoulder. If he doesnt automatically stop stomping when your hand starts to run down him foreleg, then give him a slap on the shoulder and GROWL "GET UP!!!".
He should stop if you growl hard enough. Then if he doesnt stop, slap him again!
Im not saying abuse him, but just give back what you are taking!

You can get a little harder at the slap if you need to, but only if he persists!

:D

If he doesnt react to the slap, then dig your thumb or a finger into the flabby part of him shoulder!

Then if he starts trying to stomp, or kicks and wriggles his foot about whilst you have a hoof in your hands, then tap his sole hard with the hoofpick! and again growl "get up!"

Good luck and let me know how you get on!

robbitybob - He is new and it is believed that it was just a habit he has, previous owner said he used to do it with her to :confused: Thanks it would be good to see someone else do it :)

Kizza - thanks :) Really helpful

is the horsey hairy at all?
I'd certainly want to rule out leg mites first.
Other wise, if it is purely bad habit (or, even just a sensitive horse!!), this is what i would do.

I used to have a mare, that was literally bought in from the wild - she was a fair size (15.2hh), and never ever touched by human hands.
She was terrified, and it took a while, of spending hours sitting in a stable, before she eventually got more relaxed and curious, and I could touch her nose....anyway, progressed on, i could touch several body parts, and by frequent touching, and calmness she was becoming de-sensitized.
Legs - I thought was going to be a real challenge, as every time I got near - she would stomp.
Anyway, I made a long stick thing, with a stuffed glove on the end, and purely used it as an extension of my arm to rub her legs up and down - eventually, we moved to my own arm/hand when i new she was ready - picking up feet was easy after this.:D

ETA; He isnt hairy, clipped just before he came to the Riding school.

Last edited:
newrider.com