Still looking but some questions for when we become owners!!

libbyc3

Nov 24, 2019
We after our first vetting fail and more viewings we're not quite there but it will happen!!
I just wondered - one horse that we walked away from was absolutely lovely and daughter was gutted. I said no as owner said that she needed to be worked daily or she did become a bit bolshy and spooky. That's fine on summer but am I being a bit stupid - how does everyone manage in winter? We won't have floodlights where the horse is kept and will be at work during daylight!!
Is there a trick I don't know about resulting in me walking away from a potentially good horse!??
Another 2 viewings and tries tomorrow!!

No, you made the right decision and it was good of the owner to tell you about that rather than let you find out the hard way.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Reactions: Huggy
Thanks- Yeh we know the one is out there! Question still goes tho! We are on a wait list for space at a yard with a floodlights menage which is where we have had our last 2 shares. Obviously not everyone has that luxury - nor will we initially. So until the light gets better does anyone have tips on the initial bonding and exercising??

Get one that's fine if it's only ridden at the weekends during the darkest months or bad weather, lots of horses are as long as they get daily turnout. If you have an arena but it isn't lit you can always use strategically placed rechargeable torches to do flatwork, I've done that in the past. If there isn't an arena then realistically you either have to forego ridden exercise in the week, find a sharer or pay someone to exercise.

Floodlights and a menage i admit are a huge bonus. But i dont have that luxury. Presently i cant ride during the day as i work, so at this time of year I use my field and in the dark i will lunge my horse to keep it exercised. Its not for everyone but it works for me and my set up. I dont work my horses everyday as i believe they do need time off for recovery, but i also believe that working my horse as much as i can keeps them calmer and reduces risk of injuries etc, instead of hooning round the field from bordom.
For example last night i got to the field about 8pm. I could hear a bit of prancing so i decided that it was best to give them a quick lunge. So i just put there cavesson on, slipped the rugs off and walked them into my sectioned off bit of field and lunged both for max 10 minutes. Then they got fed the tea and hay. Today when i went to get them in for riding they were just super chilled and we had a lovely hack.
To me i would spend the dark nights especially if its dry as bonding time. Get yourself a good headtorch and just be out with the horse. Some nights i feed them and just spend time watching them graze in the dark. They know im there and will sometimes stop grazing and walk over to me for a fuss. It lovely to be out with nature. The othernight i was moving the strip graze fence and the bat was dive bombing me and the horses as well.

Thanks both. I'm think I'm over thinking things!! There is riding areas - a 'rough area's, a marked out dressage area (on grass) and a jumping area again on grass just no actual menage. The horse will be kept out with a shelter. We've just been spoilt with access to all facilities you can think of - and the obvious luxury of the shares not actually being our responsibility overall! This ownership thing is completely different to that! So I'm sure I'll be back with endless ridiculous questions!!

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
Its good that you already recognise that sharing and ownership are two different things. In someways ownership is easier but in other ways its harder. I dont ride in the field in the dark but as i say i do lunge. If i had a floodlight arena youd find me out there at midnight riding.

Questions aren't ridiculous (well not unless they're endless what colour suits my horse ones), it's trying to carry on in ignorance that is. Ask away, just be aware that there's often no one right answer so you'll get differing opinions.

I'd say that if the horse is kept out then as long as when you do ride you're realistic about his fitness then only riding at weekends will be fine. If it's any help then if a field kept horse is fit going into the winter then he should hold a fair amount of that fitness for 2 or 3 months if he's ridden at weekends, that should get you through the worst of the dark winter nights.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
Everyone's right - the one for you is there, and also, there's ways round problems like dark days in winter etc. I think too if the owner said about needing worked daily to me, I'd have run a mile! I couldn't be doing with that. What a commitment that would be! Your set up sounds absolutely fine - pretty much what I've got at the yard I'm at. Good luck, keep us posted, and have that camera ready when you find him/her!

newrider.com