Still lame

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
My poor Buddy is still lame. We poulticed and buted him till sunday but Monday still going short, so keeping him off pain relief till vet comes out on Thursday. Tubbing his hoof and protecting with a boot and see how we go. Concerned it isn't just an abscess. Will do nerve blocks on Thursday, trying to get farrier out as he is much better on feet and tracking abscesses.

Looks like we will also miss the Berwickshire show on Saturday. gutted about the Border Union, only five turned out in his class, over 20 last year....I think their policy on requiring a six month flu jab record put a lot of folks off as we had to do ours early - not due till November - and some of the horses this is their only day out show so would you pay £60 on top just to go. Given that none of the other shows are demanding it, or even checking passports to see if you have any jabs at all.

I’m sorry to hear that - poor Buddy.

My old boy had a bruised heel last winter and was quite sore with it for a few weeks. We too were poulticing with no results!

Poor buddy. Albi last abscess took an age to come out and when it did it was literally nothing at all.

Hope the farrier finds something

I think the extra jabs are effecting s lot of events

Poor boy. Ramsey was prone to bruising and it was a slow process sometimes. Hope you get it sorted.

I had messaged farrier to see if he could come out. Hadn't replied. OH noticed he was next door shoeing their horses. Went out and asked if he could have a quick look at Buddy - he had got my message but hadn't replied. Too busy. As vet coming out tomorrow, he might be able to pop back Friday. What frigging good is that. IF he had looked at buddy today, he might have been able to find the track of the abscess if that's what it is. Buddy was on the yard, clean, with a boot on, 2 minute job. Instead of that we lose another day, I have the show on Saturday, and a club ride on Sunday, so guess I am missing both of them.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Huggy and fourlegs
Oh I hope the x rays are helpful. Isn't it just typical that this happens at the peak of the show season when you had so much to look forward to. I am sorry.

Sounds like you need a new farrier too - I had one like that, put up with it longer than I should have.

Sounds like you need a new farrier too - I had one like that, put up with it longer than I should have.
there is no one else, he is generally very good, the one I used before kept cancelling, never returning calls, this one took on a lot of his clients and is just very busy. anyway it looks like it isn't a foot issue now

newrider.com