*Stiffness*

xmex

Jun 11, 2009
Hiya

The horse im loaning with view to buy is really stiff, once warmed up he does unstiffen a little bit. He hasn't been ridden for a quite a while (so don't know whether he will loosen up with more work)

Just wandering if anybody has any excercises or supplements that will help?

If I were thinking of buying him, I'd have him vetted first to rule out any physical problems.

If I were working on him from a tteam point of view (given there were no physical problems) I would do some ground exercises including walking in 's' bends, and walking over a line of poles with alternate ends raised.

defo agree with the above!

my horse has moderate djd, shes on joint supplement and has magnetic boots and is on permanent danilon.....

do you know if the horse in question is on a joint supplement?

Shian does get stiffer when she hasnt been worked for a while but even from start if hack to finish she is a lot looser! so i would expect if said horse isnt uncomfortable due to stiffness then i think he probs would loosen up a little if you brought him back into work gradually :)

If I were thinking of buying him, I'd have him vetted first to rule out any physical problems.

If I were working on him from a tteam point of view (given there were no physical problems) I would do some ground exercises including walking in 's' bends, and walking over a line of poles with alternate ends raised.

Agree with this.

It sounds like it could be the onset of arthritis - this can strike at any age, it is not just an older horse's complaint.

My horse was diagnosed with arthritis aged 10 - he had been stiff for some months when first worked......

newrider.com