Stiffness on one rein!

Drummers mum

I love my pony!
Feb 1, 2004
Stratford-on-Avon
Visit site
I had a mad panic a couple of days ago about Drummer being lame on the left rein (posted in general) YO thught it was his hip so I have been walking him out and let him have a couple of days off riding so far!

Last night I put him on the lunge to see what was what again and he trotted out willingly on a 12m circle. He is completely sound right and now on the left he just doesn't look right, kind of stiff but if you watch his feet they are trotting out smartly and he is tracking up well in walk.

My question is, am I doing the right thing do you think? Not riding him is worrying because he needs the exercise to keep the weight off!!

it could just be that he's really bad on that particular rein, all horses will show some one-sidedness. but the only experience i've had with this sort of problem was with my IDxTB who had a tilted pelvis and we sold her 2 weeks later so...... i'd get a vet or physio to have a look at him.

just a few thoughts:

any change in shoeing?
teeth been done in last 13 months?
saddle been checked recently?
horse changed shape?
feed changed?

other than that, if horse gets prgressively worse then could be foot abcess/nail bind - get farrier/vet out.

do tendons feel normal?

Hi
Farriers been, he's fine! Teeth aren't due yet but he's bitless!

Can't feel any heat or problems. Rode last night and he was fine, really wizzy and happy! until I did a 10m circle. Still forward ging but his head nodded slightly and I could feel it wasn't right.

I've got a Bowen practitioner coming out next tuesday! :D

newrider.com