stiffness in the tail = a problem where??

raggydoll

Hattie & Bimble
May 16, 2005
North Lincolnshire
This morning Bim when i lifted Bims tail she had it clamped quite firmly down and it went to the left when i did lift it. She was absolutely fine under the saddle and was actually really keen to get on with some schooling now the ground is a bit softer after the storms but just was noticably stiff in her tail. What is this an indicator of?? Over swishing for the removal of flies perhaps?? Or something more serious??

It all depends, if she pulled it down because she wasn't relaxed enough to have you playing with her tail, then its just that. If she was letting you move it round happily but you could feel that at one point there was tension then you may want to look at the back a little more closely.

Try lifting the tail up level, then felx it gently to one side, then the other, several times, does one side feel stiffer than the other? then try moving the tail very gently in small circles (started from the tail held straight out) and gradually make them bigger, do this both ways, was one way stiffer than the other? Don't do this if she seems unhappy or if you are not 100% playing round the back of your horse :eek:

I guess she probably didn't want her tail fussed with right then so put it down asap :D

J x

i wouldn't worry, my horse usually clamps his tail down it doesn't really mean anythings wrong just doesn't want u to go there! and mares are usually more like that than geldings. Could be the time of year.

newrider.com