stiffness in ankles, any corrective tips?

LexxLizz

Dec 11, 2011
I have noticed that when I ride I can sometimes have a certain stiffness through my ankles. And upon reading my 'less that perfect rider' book and observing the correct position something has finally clicked...
Because of the stiffness through my ankles which I get on occassion I have been tensing my lower leg (i don't mean squeezing the horse, I mean literally tensing MY OWN muscles) to compensate and to remain ballanced.

I think where the stiffness in my ankles stemmed from if doing a lot of dancing when I was younger (tap ballet gym disco and modern) and also jujitsu - all of which required you to be up on the ball of your feet/ your toes and the ankle elevated and light on your feet. Obviously riding requires your toes to be up and heels to be down, the complete opposite!

Also, I have broken both of my ankles (not at the same time) some years ago, but when the weather is cold my right ankle particularly aches - like an arthritic ache and this seems to tie in with when my ankles are stiff.

So I was wondering, does anyone else suffer from stiff ankles? and is there any way to correct this?

I am so concerned when I ride that the horse is comfortable and able to move freely (its been drilled into me) I forget about myself - and my ankles are what seem to be letting me down.

Last edited:
Usually one part of the body doing something not required of it will, more often than not, all stem from another part of the body doing something you didn't know it was doing and setting up a chain reaction that manifests itself somewhere you least expect it to.

My left ankle is quite weak and I was struggling to keep it stable, also I couldn't ride with a forward seat for fast work as it would just give out. Flexi stirrups solved that prob!

Is it possible that your stirrups are too long? I always have to have short stirrups as my legs are quite short.

Hmmmm I don't think so. They feel fine to me for my leg length and if they were too long I would definitely tell in rising trot...
I'm certain its just my achey ankles :(
But I will try them shorter next time, see how I go :)

Someone on here posted that you should put the weight in your little toes, which I found helpful as YO/RI is always telling me off for wrong position ankles. It does feel weird though, as though your ankles are going to break (ish)!

newrider.com