Stiffness from stabling

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Other than being out, anyone have any suggestions for keeping stiffness at bay?

It's not something I wish to medicate for, and it's not a Permanent problem just when she is poorly. It's a systemic thing so affects all legs. I don't have the option of more turn out, and I need to be careful of mud fever type infections under boots too.

well, I've read a little about massage for horses. is she good with letting you touch her all over or her legs? maybe massage could help. there are liniment type rubs for horses that are supposed to be really good.

I've had to deal with limited turn out at times. It's not fun. good luck.

If its arthritis stiffness you could introduce oil. I used magnet boots with cob due to her rifles when she was in.
You could look into herbs and nutritional support.

you can get magnet wraps that are soft like a stable boot but more breathable...we sell them.

otherwise i would agree with oil, or global herbs old age or movefree?

When she is poorly she swells up - and it's the pooling of the fluid that creates stiffness - it's like rheumatoid arthritis to an extent.

For feeds she is on:

Global herbs restore
Global herbs immuplus
Global herbs skratch plus
Small scoop of grass nuts (soaked)
Handful of chaff (halleys unmollassed) to bulk it out
100gm micronised linseed

I'm don't think she is cold, though I'm not sure. I am reluctant to rug as she has a huge coat and doesnt appear to be cold and is going out in any weather without a problem. She was better in a bigger stable last night.

I take the horse is encouraged to move about in the stable as much as possible by having hay, food, water, toys in difference places?

You could try magnetic hock boots. They don't need to be on the actual leg. The rug would probably be too warm.

This is a big problem with us with Acorn if he is stabled for more than a day - as you say difficult - we are more fortunate than you in that we can avoid lengthy stabling not having madams health issues - summer he is out 24/7 - winter when he does come in on a night then he goes out in the day whatever, he has a big box and spends some time wandering around it - its got good matting areas and shavings on top - but if there are any signs of stiffness then he goes out again 24/7 rugged if neccessary - he will get alfa bute as well to help and we always have bute on hand for the really bad days - these are far and few between now thank goodnes, we had to stop him having glucosomine or oil as it seemed to affect his metabolism and weight.

Tess stiffens if in - mild arthritis so shes kept out 24/7 which is a must for her COPD - she has alfa bute daily and a glucosomine suppliment and we have it managed - if she has to come in then we put stable wraps on and her mag boots over night. if shes out 24/7 then shes fine even in winter and rarely sees a rug.

Tumeric in the skratch - and didn't help with additional last year in feed (still have several kgs in garage which oh periodically complains about the hehehhe.

Jc - even better than those jc he has a small Shetland chasing her about hehe. I think that is helping (probably more than the bigger stable!!)... Hay never near water - hate hay in water!!!

Ill have a look at magnets and see how we go over next few days with them being in together in a bigger stable.

PFB - As Fm stated Chanter has a magnetic band on 24/7 plus stable wraps on at night. I noticed Gingers legs where filling now he is stabled overnight I brought to premier equine leg wraps they look like duvets but they have do the job a treat.

This is the link for the magnetic as the boots or wraps can only be worn for a max or 12 hours these can be used all the time.

http://www.equimagnets.co.uk/magnetic-therapy-turnout-band-116-p.asp

So a little update...

It looked as though it was happening when the bed was damp (ie not fresh out the bale - not dirty but limp straw if that makes sense? Day old straw basically)...

So I spent nearly £40 making a bed of shavings and it lasted just over a week. I can't maintain a bed of shavings with him in it as he trashes it all up - at least at a bale per bed I can lift the lot and throw it with straw! She seems better on shavings, but I was semi deep littering - which was freezing. So then she got stiff again.

This week I spoke to yo (fabulous :wub:) and she said they could go out longer so they've been out 730-4 everyday. She is moving much better in general but turn out not stopping it happening altogether.

Have also tried rugging her - hate rugging her in winter as she doesn't get a break from them. She seems happier with a rug on but can't really tell for sure.

Obc does he just wear one band? I'm reluctant to wrap legs as she is out in a very muddy field, and I think if I put wraps on she will get mud fever.

we use mag wraps overnight when in - this combined with out during the day does the trick - they can stay on for 12 hours - we have had them on for 15 at a stretch on the odd ocasion - we use thenm for Charlie if he is going to be in all day - put them on in day and leave off overnight and it stops his back legs filling.

Do you have any matting on the floor? worth its weight for us - use a lot less shavings and helps their limbs

Do hope you find the answer

we had turnout socks for Josh and when charlie had his leg filling problems last year we got him some just for the backs - they really helped - he wasn't moving much even when out due to the abcessing and bruised feet - but with the socks on it kept legs warm and gave support and then mags on a night.
Josh had mag wraps and the stable wraps over when he was in in winter - he had the mag wraps on 20 minutes morning and night in summer even when out 24/7 for his arthritis.

newrider.com