stick warning

golden oldie

Jun 14, 2013
Hi Newbie here but want to share my experience to try to stop anyone else making the same mistake...

Christmas eve I was in a rush to wear out my mad collie and I forgot his ball,I threw a stick (something I wouldn,t normally do).I threw it up hill as I thought that was safer.next thing I saw was BEANIE LAYING ON THE FLOOR,LOOKING AS THOUGH HE WAS HAVING A HEART ATTACK,HE COULDN,T BREATH,NO SIGN OF STICK INJURY AT THIS POINT ,NO BLOOD,HE COUGHED A BIT AND MANAGED TO GET UP ,IT TOOK ME 30 MINS TO GET HIM TO MY VET,THE VET TRIED TO LOOK IN HIS MOUTH BUT IT WAS TOO PAINFUL,bEAN HAD TO BE ANAESTHETISED TO BE XRAYED,HE HAD AN EIGHT INCH PIECE OF STICK DOWN HIS THROAT ,IT HAD TO BE REMOVED BY OPENING HIS THROAT UP,HE HAD 12 INTERNAL STITCHES AND A 4 INCH WOUND WITH A DRAIN AND STAPLES....

Good news is he fully recovered but the guilt and shame I felt was awful,I wouldn,t want anyone else to do the same,so please never allow dogs to even play with sticks and defiantly:: don,t throw one.....:showoff:

I am glad your dog is ok.

I am also glad you posted, sticks are so dangerous.

I once had a similar thing with one of my dogs. She caught the stick and it stuck in the roof of her mouth. She was ok thankfully.

Then I went on hols and my dad inadvertently threw a stick. This time she landed on top of it and it went straight into her abdomen. She had to have an operation to remove it. She was fine again but it was awful and we felt so bad.

I can not stress to people enough, not to throw sticks.

I don't have a lot of choice in sticks with buddy.

He goes off and finds them. Absolutely fixates on them. Luckily for him the bigger and thicker they are the happier he is so the likelihood of him swallowing it is incrsdibly small.

Tennis balls are another one. They easily get stuck in their throats. I will not throw a tennis ball it has to be much bigger.

newrider.com