Steve Thompson, IH Recommended Associate demo, Saturday 22nd Nov, Edinburgh.

GingerRuby

Apr 14, 2008
Edinburgh
Hello everyone

For those of you within travelling distance of Edinburgh, this Saturday, 22nd November, at Tower Farm, just off the Braid Hills in Edinburgh, Steve Thompson, who is an IH Recommended Associate, is giving a demo in aid of charity.

Doors open at 6.30, demo starts at 7.30 pm, tickets are £15, can be bought on the door. There will also be a raffle with lots of fab stuff to win. All proceeds are going to the Alzheimer's Society, it is being organised by a friend of mine, who is doing a charity ride from Edinburgh to South Wales next year, and she is hoping to raise £10,000 for Alzheimer's.

If you want want to see more about Steve, please see his website www.horsehandler.co.uk

Hope to see some of you there!:):)

steve is amazing and just finished helping us with our miniature horses.
we seen this on his site,however we have my disabled daughters charity night
same night so cant make it..
Folk s this will be very good Steve was trained by kelly marks also
worked with the great man himself Monty Roberts:D

Thank you so much BlueDandy and Scribbler, Sam is setting up a Justgiving website, I will post the link once finalised. Will also try to post some photos from the night (have not done that before, so don't want to make any rash promises!!).

Thanks again for your interest, I am so looking forward to it, my horse Harvey is going to be used at the demo, so can't wait for him to meet Steve and see how we get on!!

Cheers

Would have loved to have come but out this saturday evening :( would love to see the photos tho :)

Have just sent him an email to get him up for a wee visit with Alfie :) Will speak to Yard Owner about using school if anyone else is interested we have a small indoor and large outdoor school... Will wait and see if he is ok to visit first :)

He wasnt very good at all to be honest. I wouldsave your self some money and use your own common sense or get a good riding instructor.

He wasnt very good at all to be honest. I wouldsave your self some money and use your own common sense or get a good riding instructor.

MMMMMMMM never got to see it what did you not like about demo my friend had him up to help her with training on her youngsters and he was good..
Though i know she had asked him to come back up to help her friends
but he was not up for having others round him...

He might be okay to have a lesson with in handling if you are not very sure about how to start off etc, but most of the things he tried to do to help the people wasnt anything different than most normal common sense horse books tell you to do. forget NH methods etc, it was just normal BHS style horse handling.

None of the horses he tried to help had any improvement really. The horse he tried to help with the mounting issue, he ended up putting it against the wall so it couldnt swing its quarters!!
I felt his timing in trying to do things was off, each time the horse moved it's quarters away, he took it away from the block and represented it. So confirming to horse that if it swings its bum, rider doesnt get on horse doesnt have to work.
rather than rewarding it just before it swung its bottom it, he waited until it swung it out.

I know how frustrating it is having a horse that wont stand at the block (my horse started doing this after bad saddle fitting, but thankfully i managed to sort it) but the way this guy was trying to do it was just useless.

Have only just started N/H myself so dont know ins and outs etc..
I guess I would have not picked up on any of those things:eek:
well at the end of the day the demo was for charity so money was
going to good cause....So at least someone benifited from the night..

I see they had a demo thread on his site,after reading it I dont think
the trainer sounded happy about the night either:eek:

Hello everyone, the good news is that the demo raised £760 for the Memory ride, which is aiming to raise £10,000 for the Alzheimer's Society and Alzheimer's Scotland, so thank you to everyone who could make it and gave generously by buying lots of raffle tickets! Sorry no photos, was too dark in the school.

Jenni - sorry you didn't find it useful, I was the one with the horse who wouldn't stand at the mounting block (and yes I know my bum is enormous and I spent most of the time with my back to the poor audience:D). Like you, I had his back and saddle checked, so wasn't issue there. But he does have a dodgy nearside eye picked up at the vetting, and it was later suggested that I try getting on from the right, and since then, he has stood like a rock at the mounting block like a complete angel!! Looks like he was just moving so that he could see me, no behavioural issue at all. So to be fair to Steve, it looks like it was a physiological problem, rather than a behavioural issue, so really nothing much he could have done about it! And that will probably explain why he made so little progress with Harv.

Many thanks everyone

newrider.com