steep drive - which horsebox for ponies

dejavu

Dec 5, 2010
I am a non-horsey mum to 2 very horsey daughters which have a 13.2 and 14.2hh. The girls are desperate to start pony club, but this requires me to start transporting! Additionally, they would love to do some local shows. Our drive is very steep for a short distance. What should I be looking for in a horsebox? (living space is not a priority).

I need to get 2 girls and 2 ponies to events without being completely stressed out.

I got my license after 1997 - so would require additional licensing for anything bigger than 3.5t. At this point I can't see needing anything bigger (but I am completely green to all this).

Have you considered a trailer rather than a horsebox? A horsebox needs taxing, testing and insuring. As you have a steep drive then you may need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to tow the trailer with two ponies in. The road from my yard is very steep in parts, but providing I use 4 wheel drive then it is no problem getting the trailer up it with two horses in.

If you do go for a trailer you will need to take a tow test too. I am looking into the same at the moment so I will let you know.

I was looking at 3.5 tonne boxes, I realised to get one I was confident about with starting, floor quality etc you are looking at £3000 + so I am looking at the other options now.

Our 7.5 tonne Lorry will manage steep hills in 1st. even with a trailer on the back too.

newrider.com