Starting with the basics

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What basic horse related things do you not actually really understand?
Are there any mysteries?
I know this type of threads been done before but it stems from me really wanting ask a few daft questions!
Okay here are mine;

When people talk about shoeing what does rolling the toe mean?
I am sure at some point I may have asked this but clearly the answer did not sink in!

So what other basics do you have little knowledge of? And does anyone else find the whole shoe thing complicated? Joe was shod but I never really paid that much attention - just trusted our farrier to get on with it.

Oh the outside aids! I only discovered these when I came to work for my boss, and even after 3 years of drilling I'm still working on it. It's a lot better now I showjump Jam in a hackamore as you have to steer from the outside but my inside hand still has a mind of its own.

I'm not good with feet either tbh. I can recognise a poorly-trimmed/shod hoof and a foot in good or bad condition but I haven't got much knowledge beyond that. I grill the farrier with questions every time he comes but I'm not sure how much sinks in!

Reactions: Trewsers
As of yet I have to tie the quick release knot correctly. I have a simple quick release clip.

Rolling the toe helps with break over, that means as the hoof is about to leave the ground. :)
You need the correct break over and the horse landing heel first

Thanks NF. I don't know what it is about their feet - my mind does a blank and even though in the past I have quizzed the farrier it just doesn't sink in!

My inside hand also has a life and mind of its own. I believe I am giving an open aid - but no, that hand is going backwards!!!

A few months ago, fabby ex livery came schooling with me for a little stressage test and actually rode on the inside of Tobes and I with her hand on my inside rein because my tiny little brain just was not computing it!!!

Thankfully after that, I am better!!

Legs are my issue. Can't get my head around all the different leg issues!!

With my legs if they are not on they are off, my voice comes in first. My half halt is a spoken word, if she doesn't get it/respond, then I tweak leg and hand.
I can't get my legs round so its just easier to talk to her. :)

I don't follow as you were talking about your inside hands and aids. So legs naturally I thought meant your inside/outside leg.

I *think* I know what they mean by a rolled toe. Is it when the farrier rasps the edge vertically.... so that the trimmed hoof goes from looking like (a) to (b).... but not quite so exaggerated as my primitive paint drawing :p ?

newrider.com