Starting again - it sure is harder this time around

S

StartingAgain

Hello, I'm new here, though I've been lurking forever, :) and relatively new to riding. I rode in college but then real life got in the way and my friend talked me into preparing for a horseback riding holiday in France next year.

I just wanted to talk with some horse people because, well things are not going exactly well. We are taking 30 minute lessons with a dressage instructor who is really good and very manic about a good seat which we appreciate. The horses are good natured but a little peculiar - mine wants to go off tearing one day, and then he's pokey the next. So one day, I can't get him to stop or slow down and the next day its hard to keep him going. And some days he does a little of both.

I have a feeling I picked up a lot of bad habits from riding before. The first place I rode when I was 18 taught hunter-seat, I wasn't comfortable with it and left after a few months but apparently I still have the old hunter seat of seating forward and not back. It really causes a problem when I try to stop or slow down and my horse is cold and just wants to go. We're riding in an outdoor ring.

As I said, our teacher is really picky about seating and position; however, I have found that if I can get the horse to obey me (slow down, stop, etc.) one time, even if I am doing it the wrong way, I can do it a second time the right way. So I practice the exercises when she's busy teaching my friend and then when her attention is turned again to me, we can do it. However, if she sees me out of position, we stop, she gives a lecture, and we go again usually at a walk but then it takes me awhile to get the feel back and do what she says when I go into the trot.

On the other hand, I get the feeling that she sometimes speeds up the lesson to account for my friend who is progressing faster than I am. She has us do some really good exercises, like alternating a walk and a trot between each letter. But today she stopped that exercise after a turn around the ring and had us do circles. I was so used to trying to slow him down on the previous exercise that it was tough for both of us to get a decent trot when we went into the circle and he kept dying on me. Finally when she was dealing with my friend I tried the circle again, he died on me and I gave him a good kick and just held my leg on him. The next time she turned her attention to me we did it perfectly.

It sounds crazy but I don't think I have a good enough seat to practice both types of exercises in one 30 minute lesson and would wish we could stick to one or two things so I could get a lot of repetition. I seem to need a lot of repetition of doing the same thing to learn it well. What makes it more challenging is that there are other riders in the ring, some taking lessons and some boarder who are riding their own horses. So at any one moment, one horse may be cantering while two are walking, and all going in different directions and here I am trying to get a steady trot and practice on my seat while weaving in and out around them. And since they're all better than I am, I am feeling a bit self-conscious.

I've thought of asking my friend for us to do individual lessons from now on. I know she's ready to canter and I don't feel I'm ready. On the other hand, I do get a good deal of practice working things out myself when my teacher is focused on her.

But I don't want to hold her back and I really appreciate this teacher's attention to detail and determination to get the seat right rather than just rush us into canters and jumps. I can get an earlier lesson when there are not so many students in the ring and am thinking that that may be the way to go with an individual lesson. I read some posts here suggesting lengthening the lesson to an hour but this teacher won't give you an hour lesson until you canter.

Right now I'm feeling like a klutz and I'm feeling that I'm holding my friend back. I don't mind taking things slow and learning them well but I do feel more nervous with my friend and all the great riders in the ring.

What do you suggest?

Wow, this was a long post! I didn't mean to make it this long!

Hi,
I am a novice as well. So not sure how great my advice will be, but it sounds like you might benefit from a 1-1 lesson more. I once had a group lesson where everyone else was way ahead of me and it really knocked my confidence. At least on a 1-1 your RI can focus on you rather than you trying to figure it out and try to catch up with others. I much prefered lessons on my own as you go at your own pace and only move on when your ready and you will definitely build a better relationship with your RI if all her focus is on you. Your RS sounds very busy, i know that i used to feel very nervous when other people were around and my brain would turn to mush and i'd forget what i was doing. Can you not go at a quiter time of day? You don't sound that happy with your RI, Could you maybe not try somewhere else, i think it's definitely important to click with your RI.

Thing is if you're doing it just to get back into the idea of riding for a trekking holiday, what you really want is a secure seat in the saddle and make sure you can stop! Sounds like she is trying to teach you for a more formal style of riding. Maybe have a couple of private lessons and then find somewhere where you can hack out and have more of a blast outside of an arena. Good luck with it.

Hi,
I am a novice as well. So not sure how great my advice will be, but it sounds like you might benefit from a 1-1 lesson more. I once had a group lesson where everyone else was way ahead of me and it really knocked my confidence. At least on a 1-1 your RI can focus on you rather than you trying to figure it out and try to catch up with others. I much prefered lessons on my own as you go at your own pace and only move on when your ready and you will definitely build a better relationship with your RI if all her focus is on you. Your RS sounds very busy, i know that i used to feel very nervous when other people were around and my brain would turn to mush and i'd forget what i was doing. Can you not go at a quiter time of day? You don't sound that happy with your RI, Could you maybe not try somewhere else, i think it's definitely important to click with your RI.

Hi Lolly-lu. Thanks for the suggestions. :) we're going for a lesson at 11am tomorrow and I'm hoping the ring is quieter. The thing is that I feel like I've really learned a lot with this instructor because she is focusing on things that I never learned properly before. It sounds silly but I have the best seat at the walk than I have ever had in my life even before when I was already cantering and jumping cross-ties and I can really feel the horse's movement under me and be at one with the horse. I can get that with a slow trot but with the faster trots, I just lose it.

The RI is pretty critical though and she sometimes get frustrated; I do think I'm learning from her but I feel I'm not getting as much out of the lesson as I could.

Thing is if you're doing it just to get back into the idea of riding for a trekking holiday, what you really want is a secure seat in the saddle and make sure you can stop! Sounds like she is trying to teach you for a more formal style of riding. Maybe have a couple of private lessons and then find somewhere where you can hack out and have more of a blast outside of an arena. Good luck with it.

Hi Suzanne, Yes, stopping is important especially since the one time I went on a trek, the horse went off and I fell off. It didn't turn me off riding but it did make me more cautious. Our school has 2 and 3 hour trekking lessons so I'll ask about them tomorrow. Thanks for making the suggestion.

Well, an update. Unhappily our instructor had to take her husband to the hospital this morning so we didn't have our lesson. Luckily he's fine, he'll be out of the hospital today.

Since we were already at the stables, I thought of Suzanne's suggested and asked if we could take a trail ride instead and it was such a good experience. Thanks for suggesting it Suzanne. I rode another horse, GQ (stands for Gentleman's Quarterly) he's quite handsome and a very heavy horse, I think he must have some draft blood. It was still really icy so we didn't trot much but GQ gave me a valuable lesson.

The trail leader kept telling us that the horses preferred a loose rein on the trail but GQ kept hugging the other horse's butt and he got kicked twice. I first tried to hold him back with steady pressure on the seat and reins but just as the leader said, he hated that and started tossing his head. Finally I decided to listen to the trail leader and give him his head but I knew that to do that, I would have to halt him every few steps to keep from bumping against the other horse's butt. GQ didn't totally halt the first two times I tried it but he did slow down and put more space between us and the horse in front of us which was all I cared about and so I let him move on. But the beauty of it is that because I let him go at his own pace most of the time with a loose rein, when I did stop him, he actually listened to me. Towards the end, he would go to a dead halt from a really jaunty trot in less than 3 seconds. I had thought that the constant stopping and starting would annoy him but now I think he was getting bored earlier just doing the same thing. So we had a little success!

The only thing that felt strange was riding a Western saddle. They don't put English saddles on their trail horses but thankfully, all the horses knew English and the trail leader told us that we could ride the horses exactly the way we had learned in our lessons. That made it a lot easier. I just know that once GQ and I started communicating and listening to each other, it was just so much more relaxing. When I got off him, I wasn't stiff or sore at all, just totally relaxed. GQ looked more relaxed too. That's a lesson for me not too stiffen up when I want the horse to go because when I tell him to stop, he doesn't know the difference and gets annoyed. So we'll see if it works on Freckles, my regular school horse. I'm also going to ask our regular instructor if we can alternate ring lessons and trail lessons.

So all in all, a very good trail ride. And the scenery was gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
For your safety and comfort in the long run, you'll have to feel comfortable progressing in your lessons. If that means you need to up the lessons (maybe one of 1 on 1, then the next with your friend or trail rides), if it keeps you safe and in the saddle, it's an option. Or if you can't afford the extra lessons time/moneywise, how about just 1 on 1s for awhile? You shouldn't feel pressured to move to new things when you're still working on the basics, and she should be able to get her money's worth by moving on to more advanced things if she's ready...it's only fair to all involved...
whatever you get out of your lessons is what you'll have to apply to your vacation...and it'll be a LOT more enjoyable if you're comfortably secure in your saddle instead of lying on the ground wondering if anyone caught the horse! at the same time, the trails seem to be a wonderful place to apply the new skills you're learning, which will also help you to relax on your vacation.

Oh, I'm just a font of help, huh? :rolleyes: Do it, do it all, and have fun. *LOL*

I agree that for now it could help to have private lessons until you feel more comfortable. I am starting riding again and have private lessons. Once I feel that I am in control of my horse and have a more secure seat, then I will consider group lessons. It must be disheartening to feel you ar eprogessing slower than your friend. But then we all are different and it's not a race. Take your time and have fun.

It's your lesson and so should be about you - if it's not ideal for you to lesson share with your mate, then don't. I wouldn't want a shared lesson at all..... and if you are returning for fun (which I am!) then you don't need a perfect dressage seat, you need to enjoy what you are doing - which sounds like the trail ride!

My Ellie bumps into the bum of the horse in front sometimes if she's allowed - if you are loose reining with her a sort of 'halt and release' works to slow her pace. So not 'whoah' and continued pull back on the reins, but sort of 'I'm taking this back because your too quick here you go have it back'...... that way she slows her pace without stopping.

Now I don't doubt all that has techinical names someone else can tell you, but hopefully I've explained it well enough that you can understand what I mean.

Thanks for all your replies. :)

We're taking a two week break because of Christmas and then we'll start in January. Sunday's hacking ride though gave me a different outlook. Actually my friend thought I did better than she did so it may be only the last couple of lessons where things have gotten difficult for me.

I do appreciate our teacher's instructions but I find that things really click when I'm on my own. So I appreciate the group lessons for that; the teacher spends some time with me and then switches to my friend and I can work out some of the things she's taught me. I also want to add hacking to the list of rides to do to get some more riding time on my own.

We'll make it though; I don't know whether we'll be ready for the ride in Provence by next September, but we'll have fun trying. :)

newrider.com