Starting a horse questions.

LCQH

Dec 31, 2005
Midwest, US
What age do you start breaking a horse to ride?
What do you start out with? Bit (what type)? Hackamore? Other?

When you finally add a saddle, do you put on a certain type?

Just curious since there's a foal coming and I think we just may keep him/her. Although I'll have plenty of help, I'd just like to know your opinions.
I don't know what discipline, I figure we'll just see what the horse is happiest with. I don't want to start too early and risk careless injury.

Thanks.

I have never started a horse to ride. I have a 2 1/2 year old right now who I will eventually ride whenever he's grown. No serious riding until all their joints are fully fused(six years old min, nine years old max.). Might slide on and off around five years old a few times, start doing a little walking/trotting at six, a little more walking and trotting at seven, and then after I've gotten the all clear from my vet that his joints are fused we'll start real riding( it will be about seven or eight years old for him, he's a draft). By the time I ride my horse, I will have an awesome trust relationship with him, and will start in a round pen with no bridle or saddle(I can always jump off if things go awry). Whenever I do use a bridle, the bit will be a happy mouth loose ring snaffle, and the saddle a dressage saddle.

It does depend on the maturity physically and mentally of the individual horse.I am currently backing my first one. He is 3 rising 4 and quite mature mentally and physically. I intend to back him and work him quietly this summer and then turn him away for winter and start bringing him into more serious work next year when he is rising 5. I am using a fulmer snaffle with him as it is great for assisting with the steering and also prevents the bit being pulled through his mouth. Saddle is down to individual choice. We started with a roller over a numnah and gradually did the girth bit up to get him used to having something around that area. From there once he was comfortable with that done up at the same tension as a normal girth and happy having the numnah chucked onto his back we introduced the saddle.

For me the get the basics till 2 so till 2 yr old they get brushed, tied up, led and general handling.

At 2 I bring them in and do some very very light lunging to teach them their cues. walk trot canter. (no more than 15 mins) once these are established I put the bridle on in the yard and sit and read a book watching. When I see she (cos im about to do a she lol) I will start putting the roller and bridle on her and sit and watch.

Once comfortable with this I will attach one side rein and reasonably short but not enough to pannick them (usually start long and get out of chair as comfort increases and shorten) then change sides do the same.

Then she will lunge in this equipment with side reins loose and steady not shorter either side yet. Once she is used to the side reins and still listening to cues for paces I will tighten them up a bit more but never ever tighten them to the position you expect them to be in undersaddle as you will stuff it. The only way they can get that postition is with forward movement and impulsion.

After this is all comfy I will put saddle on stirrups up lounge again then with stirrups flapping to get used to legs postition. once all is calm with this then I get them backed LOL usually neighbour does this lol as im too old to bounce off the ground like I used to hehehe. they get 4 rides then i tip them out for 3 months. Then refresh their memory and another couple of rides. then out again and will do this till they are 5 yrs old.

all the best
Liesl

Starting the little one should be around 2.5- 3.0 years old.
Lunging can cause joint issue and weight to soon will cause back problems.
Every horse is different and unique.

I would suggest that you save some time and be injuries free and give this little one a good foundation thru a good and local trainer that could come out to your place and teach your horse and give you some instructions,tips and assist you.
Allow those Pros to take the falls for you when things goes wrong.
Why not find a trainer that would allow you to watch and ask questions when they're working or starting a horse.
Most trainers will explain what they are doing when they are finish working a horse.This is a way you geta idea of what they would do with your little one, and this would allow you a better understanding of this process with little one.
I hope this helps.

newrider.com