started older... slow going... building and learning confidence

grandmarider

Oct 6, 2015
Hi - new here - been riding for about 9 years... i have been riding the same pony - now i'm switching to another horse due to her foot issues (sad for me!) My daughter has been riding for many years and helps me - but of course doesn't have the same fear and confidence issues as me. I feel good that i rode the "new" horse the other day and he seems nice. I am allowed to ride the barn owners horse - somewhat calm and easy - although not like my other pony. I walked and trotted (I need work on the trot as its not the same as my other pony. I did not canter and it took a long time to canter on my other pony. One day at a time - slow and easy to build confidence and get to know the new horse.

Hallo Grandma - I'm another Granny on here. And my fav mare was retired last Christmas. It does take quite a bit to get used to a new horse - I mean really get used till you feel comfortable so you are right to take it slowly. Like you I have been really sad when the horses I was used to retired or died. I dont know why I expected to outlive them.

Dont judge yourself or the horse by how long it takes. It took me three or four months to get used to cantering a mare who is (in my eyes) perfect.
The other thing that surprised me was not all people get on with the same horses. Another student, a lovely lady, wont ride that perfect mare at all. She said the mare refused to canter.
So think positive. Maybe there are horses out there who actually prefer to be ridden by Granny riders.

Hi Grandma and welcome! I'm an older rider and a great grandma and I ride a mare who is a bit stiff - like me - and we really understand each other. It took me years to be really confident in canter (after some scares and spills!) Slow and steady is good! It really isn't a competition and just go at your own pace. Good luck!

Still riding - cantering and jumping (very small!) feeling good and improving! and so is my pony - we'll never ride her again - but she is doing better and we hope to have her in the field eating grass and enjoying life soon!

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com