Staples at base of ear

Yes, although I'd be sure there was adequate fly prtoection around the wound. He's just as likely to re-injure himself stabled as out, at least out to grass there's plenty to distract him!

That's true - thanks Portia. I'd put him out and then a local woman with horses said I was taking a risk! But then, a horse in a straight jacket in a paper bag could still injur itself in my opinion, but you know how someone else can then make you doubt yourself? Thank you for reassuring me.

I would, fresh air and exercise, nothing better to clear up a wound...grazing will take his mind off it too.

We have a new mare in the field who injured herself being transported to us - she's been turned out since arrival with about 15 staples in her forehead :) She's had the course of antibiotics prescribed and the wound has been kept clean - it's healing beautifully :)

I really don't know what he did. At first I thought that he'd been bitten by his field mate, although it seemed like a weird place. But the vet said that she would have expected to see much deeper tissue damage if he'd been bittent there because of how the offender would have had to grip him to make such a hole - if that makes sense. So, can only think that he may have had his head down and suddenly lifted it, not realising that there was something (maybe hawthorn?) immediately above him. Mind you, isn't it typical, he has a big open field and the only hawthorn is right at the edge where there is hardly any grass anyway!!!!!! Horses - you could put them in a straigh jacket in a carboard box and they'd still hurt themselves. So he had a dreadful hole at the base of his ear.

newrider.com