standing still - HELP!

freya_55

Apr 4, 2008
hi,
my sec D is very full of himself and loves to be everywhere all the time lol.
i compete in quite a lot of working hunter and over the winter he will not stand still either waiting to go in, for the judge or in the line up. please help me as its very embarrasing!
i think he will be loads better when he starts goin out more in summer as he was fine last year. ive tried practising standing still at home and hes good as gold will stand for ages, we've even had someone act as a judge and give me a rossette and he was still fine! however when out at shows he gets all too excited! we are going to start giving him a treat when he stands still, but has anyone got any other ideas??
thanks, freya xx
ps. his back and tack are all fine xx

Is he having a completely non heating diet? If so, maybe work him a bit before he goes in. Take a bit of that extra energy out of him. Don't want to end up having to drag him round though!:p

I expect the more he goes to shows, the better he will eventually become:)

thanks.
he has two haynets a day, and his feed (once a day) is pony nuts, alfa and sugarbeet. he also has magic calmer.
yes, i forgot to mention before that hes normally very relaxed in the collecting ring but by the time i come to do my show he has jumped a course of fences, which hypes him up be cause he loves jumping!:rolleyes:
espec. at the slightly bigger shows where you do your jumping round and then go straight into your show in a different ring.
i might try working him in for longer thankyou xx

Maybe you need to work at calming him down while jumping him then. You could do that at home, by asking him to jump in trot, circling before jumps, and trot poles etc. Teach him that he can only jump when he's being sensible:)

make sure you're not tensing in any way. if your fidgeting or keeping a strong rein contact (to get him to keep still) could wind him up more.
perhaps try relaxing completely and slacken the reins a tad so he has nothing to fight against

newrider.com