standing square

COLOUREDCOBS

Sep 4, 2008
any ideas how to get my colt to stand square and proud other than walking a mare past him!!!!

He wont move his back legs back :rolleyes:

His first show ever is in just over 4 weeks so i need to get it right.

Also turning in trot. How the hell can i make him understand. he is very clingy to my shoulder.

we have only had 2 practise sessions so far.

hi i got a twoyear old gelding, but showed him as a yearling, wat we did was 1st have pack of polos in my pocket, so wen standing in front of the judge he would have ears foward and look alert, at home i used a showing cain, just gently tap the front legs to get them to move foward or bk or a lil nuge in the chest, to push bk, and for trotting in hand just hold the cain near the shoulder an gently push him over trust he will soon get out of your space, but wat we found has helped is just in daily thins like groomin he does not come into my space unless i let him, this has stoped him being to close for comfort wen trotting up, and the faster u run, the less close they get i found out

hope this helps xxx

practise.

you just have to manouvere the legs (a long stick is helpful to tell them which leg to move) then stand still a few seconds to start with, praise, walk a few strides and do it again.

rattly sweet wrappers/grass in your hand to make him look interested.

the turning thing, you need to go around him (so turn right at the bottom) push out your arm and make him more independant.

if hes clingy, it might be worth long reining (if hes old enough) to gt him working without relying on you.

Thanks

Food or rustling is a no as his ears go back. He is funny about his food. But that isnt a problem as if i stand in front of him his ears are always focused on me.

Will try the cane/whip, but he always seems to leap 10 ft away in offence. He is quite sensitive. He is well mannered in his stable.

Think may try long reinging. He lunges fine.

I think i need to get fit myself too ;)

newrider.com