Standing at the mounting block

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
I know this has been discussed MANY times, but I wanted to ask what other people do when training their horse to stand at the mounting block and why.

I may be riding a youngster and am anticipating some 'disagreements' at the mounting block in the form of swinging away from the block (just to note I have ridden him before and had no problems, but youngsters will be youngsters and I want to be prepared!). I'm thinking either to circle and repeat or back up and repeat. I don't think it will be a massive issue, more of a frustrating 'game'.

I want to avoid treating from the ground if at all possible. I'm not a fan of being mugged.

So what did you do and did it work?

Clicker train not only to stand quietly at the block but actually walk up to the block and wait!

The exercise is called "Bring the saddle to me"

I played 'the frustrating game' with Appley for a while - she soon got bored of messing about at the mounting block! we spent a few evenings just practising the block - without even going for a ride! literally leading to block, STAND, get on, WAIT, move off, dismount, lead to block ... whenever she didn't stand, she found herself backed up and the exercise quietly (but persistently) repeated.

Place block strategically alongside a solid wall or some such, with just enough room for neddy to fit between block and the wall.

Spend the next hour leading him into the gap and ask him to stand (having someone stand in front of him for the first couple of times helps enormously.) Every time he moves forward, walk him around again and ask for stand. Very tedious and boring but they generally get bored before you do and decide to co-operate.

Some people have a lot of success with clicker training/treats but I really do NOT like treating a horse for doing what it should just DO anyway?:unsure:

Tis very, very common over here...most have never been taught to stand for mounting, more often than not an agile and feckless young rider has slung themselves into the saddle at a trot as the horse eagerly gets on with the job in hand!:frown:

One of the first thing I teach my own horses, no matter of the age at which they start with me (ie yearlings or teenager!), is to stand wherever I put them and stay there. They learn two commands - back, which is take a step back, and one more, which is take a step forward, but first and foremost they will stop wherever I ask them to and not move - okay moving legs to rebalance weight after the halt is fine but they don't fidget, shuffle, move off until asked to etc.

This means that the mounting block doesn't become a huge issue, they are just asked to stand next to it, move one forward or back to get in line with me, and then only walk off when invited to. If you have a horse that is conditioned to excitement at the mounting block, I would do lots of work on getting on and off, on different sides, move your mounting block, mount here there and everywhere until its so boring the excitement about getting on and getting going has worn off!

The thing I taught Flipo that I am most proud of!
From reading heaps about it, the key seems to be to find something that the individual horse that will feel like more work in comparison to just standing nicely at the block.
For Flipo, that was backing up, for other horses, its circled round, having the hindquarters yielded back to the block. Flipo had a tendency to either shuffle a step back or swing his quarters out. I tried moving his quarters back, circling, moving the block to him, but none of it was as effective as just plain backing him up - if he wanted to move, I bloody well made him move.' You need to be mega disciplined to react as soon as he moves - I had to get back down off the block on many occasions. But it paid off and he will now walk to the block, stand in perfect position and I get on without him even moving a centimetre. And I will never take that for granted!

So tell us all about the youngster you're helping with? Details!!

The first lesson I had with Raf we did standing at the mounting block. Before that I'd had to practice leading him round the school, stopping when I stopped and going when I walked on, so I suppose pretty much what Captain Kirk said. One thing my RI did tell me was that it was important that I didn't move my feet, so if Raf walked on when I stoped I had to 'snake' him back into position or dig my fingers into his chest to make him move back, whilst I remained in the same spot.

When we moved onto the block I had to lead Raf up to the block, stand on it and if he moved away I had to either snake him back round to it or lean round with my schooling whip and tap his bum back into place. Very importantly I had to remain on the block (so he was moving his feet and I wasn't). As soon as he stood in the correct position I got off the block and led him away. Only after repeating this enough times so that he would lead straight up to the block and stand next to it was I allowed to make as if to mount, then again if he moved I had to get him back into position, if he stayed still I got off the block and led him away again. Etc, etc until I was actually getting on. I went home and practiced and within a week he was foot perfect and still is. He just eventually understood what I wanted and now he's so obliging he'll step over to me, take a step forward or a step back depending on what he needs to do to line up with me.

Like FM, that's the thing I'm most proud of (we're pretty rubbish at everything else lol)

I don't understand why, if there's never been a problem, you're anticipating there will be. Why should there be? Provided he's never given cause to object - eg rider banging onto his back, being held too tight, being dug in the ribs, unneccessary faffing around - then there's no reason to assume he'll start being awkward about it just because he's young.

One of mine that I anticipated I would let friends ride was encouraged to line up nicely & stand like a rock for ages by the simple method of giving him a treat when everything was done & we're ready to move off. He's a greedy little soul & badly wants that sweet, he won't move until it comes! The other I'm not so bothered about as I'm generally the only person that rides him & I don't mind swinging on as he moves off, though interestingly if he knows I need him to stand, like when my back is bad, he never moves a muscle until I'm settled.

Like CaptainKirk my boss insists that all horses on her yard stand wherever they are put, moving only when asked to back up, step forwards or move over. Again, not just with youngsters and not just with her own horses - any livery horse permanent or temporary, anyone in for schooling etc is expected to follow the same rules.

Our "mounting block" is a small step at the bottom of a concrete ramp so moving it for getting on isn't an option! When we mount up we stand on the bottom of the ramp and bring the horse around to stand alongside it in front of us. Everyone is expected to stand still whilst being mounted and to remain there until asked to move off. With new horses the method is simple - position them alongside the ramp, if they step forwards they are asked to back up and if they back up they are asked to step forwards, if they swing their bum out we back them up and then reposition and repeat. It's a simple method and it works every time!

I generally think if there is a problem with a horse being mounted, there is a reason for it.

With ex racers, I think that is not true because they are used to lads being legged up as they are walking out the yard, but my own ex racer took almost no time at all to convert to standing nicely whilst Mum got on.

I think if horses are bumped in the back, jabbed in the side, or suffer any discomfort whilst being mounted, including saddle not fitting, not having a nice time when they leave the yard, they show up with mounting - I know Tobes's did!!

I generally think if there is a problem with a horse being mounted, there is a reason for it.

With ex racers, I think that is not true because they are used to lads being legged up as they are walking out the yard, but my own ex racer took almost no time at all to convert to standing nicely whilst Mum got on.

I think if horses are bumped in the back, jabbed in the side, or suffer any discomfort whilst being mounted, including saddle not fitting, not having a nice time when they leave the yard, they show up with mounting - I know Tobes's did!!

Yes, very good point. Underlying causes! Flipo's was remembered saddle pain along with my nervousness meaning he didn't want me on his back.

ginger (ex racer) was fine to mount but when like flipo he got pulled a intercostal muscle he moved away from the block. I knew he never did this before so there was deffo something wrong.

On Wednesday after a all clear from the vet he would not stand to be mounted. A lot of people offered to hold him for me but I will not allow this as I need to be able to mount when I want where I want. I just kept backing him up and turning his quarters until he stood. I got on gently and thanked him. Today was the same but took less time.

I also do not do treats.

I haven't really had a problem with this.

I teach mine voice commands so when I ask stand, they stand, wherever they are.

If they do move off, I just keep circling round the block until they get fed up and stand when asked.

I know some can be awkward and move their back ends away. If this happened I would probably chose a wall or fence and position the horse between the wall and the mounting block.

Repartition and patience are necessary and no fuss. Get someone to hold the horse until it gets the message or if you are on your own, you could tie it up with a headcollar under the bridle then just release the clip once you are on board.

Thanks for everyone's replies, you have all kind of cemented what I was thinking.

FM - it's early days, I will let you know if it comes to anything :)

newrider.com