Standardbred Ex Racer having trouble with the bit

lazyobie29kr

western
Aug 1, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
I just got on a 15 year old Standardbred ex racer who has never been riden before. he is doing great for never having someone on his back before, but there are some things I am having trouble with. The biggest issue is the bit. He won't stop playing with it! I'm using a curve bit and his tongue is either over it or hanging out of his mouth. On top of that, he throws his head around every time i put pressure on the reins. Anything I can do?? would a hackamore be the best choice?

My girl is an ex racer (tb tho), she absolutly hated the bit, and still does (the poor rubber snaffle she was banging on the door the other day to get it out of her mouth :D ). I bought her a Dr Cook bitless bridle. I tried a hackamore on her but she really didnt like the pressure on her nose, whereas my sports horse mare goes happily in the hackamore.
She goes so much better since swopping her bitless, I havent had that much a problem with brakes, she stops fine but is just bobby :rolleyes: .
I would definatly try riding in a headcollar or a rope halter or something first before shelling out on a hackamore.
Hope this helps
Tasha

While racing they often wear a caveson to keep their mouth shut. My guy did the same thing was constantly playing with the bit. I had to use one on him for awhile and when I 1st started him I used the same type of bit he was used to a jointed kimberwick He settled right down. Good luck great horses aren't they.

do a search on this site
http://www.bigdweb.com/

You should try a bitless bridle, (a cross under - Dr. Cook). I now own my second standardbred and had experienced the same problems with my first mare. A friend suggested that I try the bitless bridle, and I have never looked back since. No head tossing, no playing. The mare that I have now, has never been ridden in anything but a bitless, and she responds very well. The feel is a little different but the responses from the horse as the same.

Last edited:
i woudlnt suggest a hackamore unless you are using it under strict supervision for at least a while because these are not gentle bridles and will cause a lot of damage if not used correctly

Howdy! have you had a vet check out your Racer? Perhaps the bit is causing pain to his mouth. Maybe because it hurts, he's trying to avoid it. If there is nothing going on with his teeth, then I agree with a bitless bridle or a hackamore. A friend of mine has an ex-polo pony TB mare who was become unmanagable when riding with a bit until she purchased a hackamore. The mare absolutely loves it! But be warned, I'm an experienced rider and when I rode this mare, it was my first time using a hackamore. It was difficult at first, it has a different feel from a bridle. But it worked well! And of course, if used incorrectly, can be more harm than good, as with any piece of equipment. have fun, and good luck!! :)

Thank ya!

Thanks for all your input, it's really very helpful! While putting in the bit the other day I realized he has some pretty sharp wolf teeth, which is probably causing a lot of the discomfort. I told the owner (my aunt's friend's dad...long story, anywho) and his teeth will get some well-needed attention. We shall see how he reacts to a less harsh bit after we get his teeth floated; if he is still having a hard time we'll try a hackamore. Thanks again!

newrider.com