Stamping back feet ALOT

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
prj is stamping his back feet Alot! Only ever known him to do this just before his frog/heel all came open badly... Checked his feet no heat, no swelling, puleses, inside the feather looks clean i know u cant see mite but thought u could usually see some irritation, wouldnt think it was mite anyway as hes oiled all winter, no sore areas, bottom of hooves all look ok, checked his man parts, all seems ok.... Adding pics below first ine is back hooves... Well i was going to but its saying sall my files are too large :( wanted to see if anyone could see anything i was missing

Last edited:
Is this the same horse that has pin worm? If so could it be his itchy bottom making him stamp in frustration at not being able to scratch it?

Reactions: Jessey
Do you just oil or do you use sulphur as well. Mine was stamping a few weeks ago. I hadnt treated for over a month as our countrywide store had not had any in stock for months but I've now found a new source to order from. I just treat regular as preventative. Nothing visible but I been doing pig oil and sulphur a couple of times a week since getting more and he's stopped.

Yep the pin worm pony, haha poor sod. Yep i do the pig pil and sulphur. He reacts bad to mites to (reacts bad to his own shadow haha) had them when i first got them and got infected skin, the bites cause inflammtion, then he chews the front another reason u dont think its mite as no chewing on the front to the point of soreness.

regarding the pin worms, bums been clean last 3 days, every time iv gone it clean it not a trace of anything there no scruf stuff, no gunky stuff... I assume that means things are foing in the right direction?
Also no more worms in any poos, old or fresh.
This pic of his bits, u can see the purple spray where its come off his back leg (got a cut/graze) where i have sprayed and hes kicked its rubbed when its went, so ive checked the man parts and i cant see anything off or new, checked for a bean, couldnt find one, chopped some long hair off that had some bits stuck to it but was still kicking after... Reason i am so concerned is because hes now badly bruised his hooves on the frozen ground, they have purple bruises :( (white hooves)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 10
Could still be mites. Chloe's have been partocularly stubborn this time despite having had pig oil and sulphur pretty much all year round. Dectomax jabs solved it coupled with shaving.

Reactions: Prjsmk
Could still be mites. Chloe's have been partocularly stubborn this time despite having had pig oil and sulphur pretty much all year round. Dectomax jabs solved it coupled with shaving.
Mite treated today with a powder. There was no stamping today, at all though weirdly! But there has been a pattern of days of now stamping then a few days on constant stamping. Awkward sod! Will see how this goes, our fet wont do dectomax injection untill all other treatments have been tried, which is fair enough

Feather mites. We have two on our yard who despite every treatment known having been tried and legs clipped out they still can’t get rid of them.

My friend is going to try clipping out his legs this summer, slathering them in stinky stuff, emptying the stable and pretty much pouring neat jayes fluid over everything before leaving it a day and washing it down. Her boy scratched on anything and stamps badly. They are out 24/7 in summer

Mite treated today with a powder. There was no stamping today, at all though weirdly! But there has been a pattern of days of now stamping then a few days on constant stamping. Awkward sod! Will see how this goes, our fet wont do dectomax injection untill all other treatments have been tried, which is fair enough

That is strange your vets think like that. I would say it is better to have the jabs sooner rather than later because the worse the stamping becomes the more chance of the leg becoming sore, inflamed and eventually infected. This is what happens with ours if you leave them too long.

Mines out 24/7 all year round so no stable washing for me lol. Lucky for me (in a way) there isnt alot i can use on prj because hes allergic everything, slightest thing causes him to break out in a rash, so my choices of treatments are limited before i can get the vet anyway. There is still no sign in on the skin, usually the slighest bite or irritation and he gets red sore patches and no severe chewing on front legs

I would still suspect mites or lice, even if the skin isn't showing much as it takes a really bad infestation normally before they damage the skin, stamping is an early warning sign generally.

I would still suspect mites or lice, even if the skin isn't showing much as it takes a really bad infestation normally before they damage the skin, stamping is an early warning sign generally.
Have u met my cob? Lol. He only has to look at a flower to have an allergic reaction to its pollen. He had to be masked yesterday because he was sneezing and his eyes was runny bevause we had a dry windy day, one mite would cause him to react the little princess him haha

Feather mites. We have two on our yard who despite every treatment known having been tried and legs clipped out they still can’t get rid of them.
Yup, Gracie is like that. She was clipped 3 weeks ago, legs off too, but she will still rub her hinds if she can find anything to rub against. I've tried all the usual remedies, treatments and injections but keeping the feather off seems to be the only thing that minimises the itch :rolleyes:

No stamping today (while i was there anyway) bums looking clean every day too (before i re clean it and apply vaseline) hopefully getting on top of the pin worm. Mite powdered again today too. Got shampoo to use but dont want to do it in this freezing weather

We i am now convinced it was sometihing round his man parts, seemed like he was kicking there and i cut all the long hair from around it and had now stampings for a few days now... Keeping an eye though and still treating

newrider.com