Stallions... I've not missed something have I?

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
At my old yard there is an older horse who needs turnout in a small paddock and for whatever reason she was going to end up in the paddock by herself which she can't do. The owner went and bought a mini Shetland colt as a companion and is planning to get it gelded (not sure whether he is able to be gelded right now) - fair enough. The thing that got me was that he is already out with the old horse who is a mare. Post was put on FB saying "stallion is grounded today" and further down says that he is running the other horse ragged and trying to mount her...:frown::unsure: Is it just me or was that an extremely stupid thing to do putting a shetland colt in with an old 14.2 cob mare? I understand he probably couldn't reach her by, erm, normal method but it isn't exactly unheard of for a shetland to cover a larger horse:unsure:

Where there's a will, there's a way, Shetland stallions will get in there when the mare is lying down. But either way, it's utter madness to put an entire ANYTHING out with a mare unless you intend to breed something sensible,....and at this time of year, Total irresponsible madness,

Where there's a will, there's a way, Shetland stallions will get in there when the mare is lying down. But either way, it's utter madness to put an entire ANYTHING out with a mare unless you intend to breed something sensible,....and at this time of year, Total irresponsible madness,

I thought as much! Glad I'm not at that yard anymore!

Having seen the unfortunate offspring resulting from a dacshund dog and labbi bitch, I would say that it would be possible. Unwise in the extreme to allow this to happen, but possible.

The only positive thing is at least the female is bigger than the male and wont be killed trying to give birth to a massive foal. Still really irresponsible though.

Even planning to geld is irresponsible, its still fertile and capable for up to six months I think, could be 4.

Even planning to geld is irresponsible, its still fertile and capable for up to six months I think, could be 4.

Good point but I suppose if they'd kept him in until he was gelded the vet would probably mention that he shouldn't be out with a mare for however long... Now by the time they find that out it could be too late!?:banghead:

How old is the elderly mare? Thats also putting her health at risk, especially if it is her first.

I think she is around 20, I'm sure she is arthritic but I can't remember/don't know if there is another issue but she needs a quiet life.

I think she is around 20, I'm sure she is arthritic but I can't remember/don't know if there is another issue but she needs a quiet life.

Thats really sad :( I hope they come to their senses, and the mare hasnt been caught.:banghead:

That's just stupid isn't it? Hope mare has not been got at.

:banghead:Just about sums up some of the goings on at that yard to be honest. It's very sad. I think the owner genuinely might not believe he has it in him - I think she is a bit naive when it comes to animal behaviour and that will probably be fueled by other people who think they know everything but actually don't. I really hope that I'm missing some vital bit of info here (like he has been gelded) but as they post minute by minute updates of this cute little shetland I doubt I have and even if I have it sounds like it would still be possible for a foal to be made:unsure:

Buying to keep in isn't buying anything suitable for a companion. My yard will not permit any livery to bring an uncut colt.
It was bad enough when one of their own jumped the wall and got busy with a mare and mine got into a bit of a scrap of protecting said mare.

Some people really do need a frontal lobe lobotomy - with a shot gun - don't they?:banghead:

It could very easily cover the poor old mare. I have known of a 16 hand mare 'caught' by a very small shetland stallion when the stallion and mare's owner would not believe it could happen. As Wally says, they won't miss a chance and if he catches the mare lying down, anything is possible.

Some people really do lack braincells don't they!! :banghead:

It sounds almost as good as the yard I'm at Rubic where the YO put around 15 mares, a fair few with foal at foot, the other side of a 3ft fence to 2 x 2 year old colts and a 9yr gelding who wasn't gelded until 8 so still rather fond of the ladies and then went absolutely ballistic at the owner of the colts saying it was her fault when the 2 colts jumped the fence to get in with the YOs mares :banghead: Even my OH who isn't remotely horsey could understand why that was an immensely stupid thing for the YO to do!!

Maybe in the hope that the behaviour was forgotten. They ought to be infertile in 6 weeks, but the coltish behaviour lingers for a while after. They maybe were hoping that the geldings after 6 months would have lost the urge to climb on everything.

newrider.com