Stage 1 exam - errors

Failing?

I don't know anyone who has failed their Stage One, as long as you prep thoroughly for it, it is quite straight forward.

Areas that examiners are hot on are haynets, feed (what each does and how it is fed), foot & shoeing and anatomy. And of course throughout everything you do you have to be safe and efficient.

Another tip: although this may seem obvious make sure you think about what you say before you say it so as not to end up going "...and...er...um...and.."etc!!!

I have been told feeding theory is commonly a week area. Make sure you know what quantities (in lbs or kg) you would give to horses of different sizes, and what ratio bulk/concentrate.

I have been told feeding theory is commonly a week area. Make sure you know what quantities (in lbs or kg) you would give to horses of different sizes, and what ratio bulk/concentrate.

Arrrrghhh, this is what I really hate about the BHS exams. You cannot "feed" an imaginary horse, you end up asking 100 questions before you can give any kind of answer! It's such a nebulous subject......and a very personal one too!

I think you have to come across as confident, knowing what you are on about. Hesitation and uncertainty got a lass failed that I was taking mine with.

Last edited:
Echo what Wally said about confidence. If you do something the examiners disagree with then put your views forward politely but with confidence. For example we have strong views over haynet tying as I have experience of small ponies getting hoofs in nets and therefore believe in using breakable string like tying up...not the commonly accepted way so I would explain why I did it.

Basically always remind yourself of safety, the horse you are handling is unknown to you so don't take the sort of shortcuts/chances we all do with our own.

I know one person that failed on the safety bit.
Im hoping to do mine before the summer and hopefully it will be similar to the TRSS ride leader exam I did last year (obviously the ridden section will be different).

both me and my sister have started doing things the BHS way, especially for rugging up as its easier just to chuck a rug on.

Also I go through the rules of watering and feeding as I make up the feeds, so something like
- water before feed (check)
- use clean stuff (check)
- feed according to type, age, condition, workload etc. (then go thruogh why each different horse gets what I am feeding them.
- feed something succulent every day (when dropping carrots/ apples into feed)
and the same for all the others. It seems to be working quite well

eml, I found Charles Buttons Esq hanging from his haynet by a front foot. A Shetland is not heavy enough to break either the net or pull the ring out of the wall. Don't ask me how he got there, considering there is no trees to climb in Shetland the Cattle and horses seem to like vertical surfaces. I had a Shetland cow that would climb the byre wall and hang from the aeshins by his front feet!

I generally have my knife with me, and had to cut the haynet into little bits to free him. I hate haynets!

Well I passed the care, but some of the answers the others were coming out with for feeding were embarrassing - I would say thats the area you need to be hot on. I failed my riding but never found out why - I suspect it might have been my 2 point position, my back went into spasm, so practice holding that position for a long time before your exam!

Ponies do seen to have death wishes with haynets and stable fittings in general and we generally feed off the floor anyway but may put up a net if we need.

Laura if you go through your results sheet you can see the X 's . Its a bit like adriving test no major faults (ie compulsary point failure) and only a certain amount of 'supporting point' failures.

I personally prefered the old system where examiners origionally gave and then later wrote comments but they could be a bit vague. In theory the new system should enable you and your instructor to work on the problems areas. Unfortunately one of my Stage 2 candidates last year was so nervous she admitted she virtually forgot how to ride and got X's in almost every box whereas the old comment system would have pointed out that she seemed to be suffering from exam nerves and a kind word from the examiner would have reassured her not, left her feeling totally demoralised.

Laura if you go through your results sheet you can see the X 's . Its a bit like adriving test no major faults (ie compulsary point failure) and only a certain amount of 'supporting point' failures.

Well I had an X for riding in light seat, as I thought, and an X for trotting with stirrups! But I passed for trotting *without* stirrups :confused: Very demeaning when you've been riding since you were 10 :eek: I just wish they would specify why..was it my lower leg, upper body, what? That's what annoys me, it is so expensive and they won't even tell you what to improve on.

Stage 1

I actually know of a couple of people who have had their own horses for years and are very competent horse women. They both failed for the same reason - safety! If you have learnt everything in the syllabus then the main possibility of failing would be forgetting that the BHS has a certain way that it likes to see things done. Remember that you don't know the horse and make you sure you do everything the 'BHS way' - not the way you would do it at home! It is best whenever possible to speak from experience, and if you prefer to do things a different way to what the books say, as long as you explain why and you do not compromise safety of yourself, the horses and others around you then you'll get through the exam with flying colours!

The same goes for the riding section - they want to see that you are in control and can work safely around other horses and riders. So if anything doesn't go quite to plan in the ridden section - rember safety is the prority!!

Good luck!

Agree with Wally - appear confident. If you are hesitant it appears that you are not sure about your answers. If you make a mistake - correct it - they do make some allowance for nerves. Make sure that you can do everything fairly quickly (tack up, bandage etc.) - some people take ages - again that looks as if you are not confident. Make sure tack is fitted properly etc. A lot of the exam is common sense.

Know the various feeds, have a good idea of quantities - you dont have to be exact to the ounce - and if in doubt suggest more bulk than concentrate. There are more detailed questions at stage 2. If you would never use a haynet - explain why - just make sure that you do know how to tie one.

The examiners are fairly lenient at stage 1. Just be careful with safety issues.

Again in the riding - if you make a mistake such as the wrong canter lead - come back to trot and correct it. Make sure you are riding on the correct diagonal - another point they can be very fussy about. If you actually ride as if you are in a lesson (and forget it is an exam) you will ride better. If you get too tense about it being an exam - your riding falls apart.

Best of luck.

I pased my Stage 1 care but failed the riding, alot of people who took their Stage 1 at the college i was at were weak on the Feeding Section, more people passed the riding than the care i think or both.

i think i failed the riding becaused my horse took off with me when we were just about to start our canter in the forward position, luckly i stayed put! I had difficulty pulling her up and getting her to walk she just put her head up in the air and get being stupid.

Im sure you will be ok! Just work hard and revise lots, im surre you'll pass!

XxTJxX

newrider.com