Stabled for winter

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Head is kinda spinning with all different thoughts.
The new yard we are at is basically a DIY yard. But i pay my RI/old YM so much for doing sox each week. However i heard that due to limited land they dont want the fields getting trashed as its only 4 acres. So when the fields are 'closed' They are in until the fields are 'open'. Im hoping it will be from nov to feb/March but i dont know. So i am looking at ways to keep soxs less bored! There is a decent horse walker they can use and they are allow to go in the school also.

Luckily i have days off in the week mainly. So i thought i could use them days to hack him out. Where as the days that i am coming after work ( around 8pm) I can school or lunge.
With him been in i am wanting to get him 'out' more on my days off whether thats hacking in the morning and letting him in the school later or the walker. Just something to break up the day. Though i do know they have there morning sleep at 11:30 Lol!

Where I used to work there was no turnout at all. The things that we found helped the most with this situation was getting them turned out in the school as much as possible, preferably in pairs. In hand grazing every day. When mucking out we would tie them up as far away from their stable as possible, so they got a walk, for as long as possible and preferably within touch of another horse they liked. I also tried to do this while skipping out too much to my bosses dismay. Those in stables where they could see alot happening seemed to fair a bit better. Does your yard have any hardstanding area they can wander about in the day? It's such a shame so many yards close fields over winter, how many horses do you have there? Can they not just use one field and accept it'll get trashed so everyone gets some time out. There's a yard I cycle past that have made all weather winter turn out areas with lots of places to hang haynets and toys, trees and a hedge so they can do some browsing too, think this is great if your yard would consider something like that?

You’ll need to be riding most days for sure if he’s going to be stuck in, an hour turned out in the school will help mentally but constructive exercise will be necessary to maintain the muscles you’ve fought so hard to build.

I’d probably get a few toys, hay balls, treat balls, fill browse nets etc. and vary what he gets each day to keep him busy in the stable too.

And hand graze as much as possible, I’d also add something soaked to his feed if he doesn’t already get it, to make sure enough fluids are going in to minimise colic risk on an all hay diet.

that's not great, how many horses do they have there for 4 acres? I am lucky, mine are out 24/7 all year round, i have a sacrifice field i use for winter and rest over the summer. Putting down an all weather area or just a big school to let them wander around would make it so much better for the horses. If there is a big yard can it not be fenced so they can wander around? or put down a big area of mud control mats in the field so they can use that. Surely if everyone chipped in to pay for it it would be worthwhile? If it is absolutely foul, our gang just hang around the yard with haynets and doors open so they can suit themselves.If it was me i would find a place that did have turnout but don't know how realistic that is for you. The horses at the livery yard down the road from us are banged up all winter ditto the racehorses, they have the same type of land as we have but they save the grazing for the sheep!

I was on a yard a long time ago with no winter turnout. It wasn't easy but lucky for me both our horses were in the outside block and there was loads going on during the day to keep them noseying over their stables! They could have turnout for half an hour in the sandschool outdoors - but there was a queue of 60 other ponies first and you had to put your name down and sometimes people either queue jumped or you just ran out of time! We rode them every single day come hell or high water though. That was tough! Even in the bad weather, but I did it for their sanity / health. Surprisingly they adapted very well to the routine, and it was actually worse for them when the YO decided they could have half an hour in a field she didn't care about! They got pissy about being brought in and J got colic one time through being left behind. So I think overall they do adapt. I know it's not ideal but if other areas are good - then it's not always appropriate to move yards. Plus if Sox doesn't have issues that mean he needs lots of turnout - then that's not too bad either. When you go to muck him out can you let him wander the yard safely if you close gates etc? Also, I think it's quite important they have access to somewhere to roll once a day - maybe the school? It isn't something I'd choose (keeping them in over winter) but experience has taught me that it isn't the end of the world.
Being honest, our three bring themselves in of their own choice once the weather turns properly. And I think a lot of the problems like mud fever, strained tendons etc happen in winter - you will avoid those issues too. (Providing he doesn't run around like a loon and we have seen pictures of him doing the hugest standing on back legs - which Mr T still thinks is the best horse pic he's ever seen!)

Where I used to work there was no turnout at all. The things that we found helped the most with this situation was getting them turned out in the school as much as possible, preferably in pairs. In hand grazing every day. When mucking out we would tie them up as far away from their stable as possible, so they got a walk, for as long as possible and preferably within touch of another horse they liked. I also tried to do this while skipping out too much to my bosses dismay. Those in stables where they could see alot happening seemed to fair a bit better. Does your yard have any hardstanding area they can wander about in the day? It's such a shame so many yards close fields over winter, how many horses do you have there? Can they not just use one field and accept it'll get trashed so everyone gets some time out. There's a yard I cycle past that have made all weather winter turn out areas with lots of places to hang haynets and toys, trees and a hedge so they can do some browsing too, think this is great if your yard would consider something like that?

that's not great, how many horses do they have there for 4 acres? I am lucky, mine are out 24/7 all year round, i have a sacrifice field i use for winter and rest over the summer. Putting down an all weather area or just a big school to let them wander around would make it so much better for the horses. If there is a big yard can it not be fenced so they can wander around? or put down a big area of mud control mats in the field so they can use that. Surely if everyone chipped in to pay for it it would be worthwhile? If it is absolutely foul, our gang just hang around the yard with haynets and doors open so they can suit themselves.If it was me i would find a place that did have turnout but don't know how realistic that is for you. The horses at the livery yard down the road from us are banged up all winter ditto the racehorses, they have the same type of land as we have but they save the grazing for the sheep!
The yard itself is only temp. They do have hard standing but we have a number of stallions. So letting them loose wouldnt be the best idea! I can walk him inhand. Ride every day, he can go on the walker, let loose in the school.

newrider.com