Stable Toys

Zesty Maximus

Feb 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks, UK
Hello,

I was wondering which stable toys people had tried, which were totally ignored and which are a great success.

I've been looking at the different flavoured likits with interest and know which flavour I would chose (for myself!) but it's for my horse :p not me so have no idea which flavours are popular and which aren't.

So, anyone recommend a particular stable toy?

If the budget is tight or you want something you can vary easily theres always the apple/carrot/parsnip on a string!!!

Milo also seems to love the ball, its not his, but its always out when I'm grooming him and he just CAN'T leave it alone.
Vicki xx

I dont like the string idea.....what happens if it drops in the bed then gets wrapped round there feet etc?

I have got the snack a ball and my horse loves it and he has got the hanging one which holds a likit and little likkits in the sides. He loves this one too but will both of them he is not too interested in them once all the food or likit has gone! He also has the Decadron which is easier to clean than the snack a ball but the food falls out of it quicker so that one got handed down to the Pig!
I also bought him the manger mate holder which has a breath easy block in it but he completely ignored it. My sister tasted it and said it was disgusting so that maybe why!
Lastly I bought the one that looks like a toilet roll holder :) and you put likits on it! Dont know what its called but my horse just bit straight into the likit he didnt 'lick it' so I took that one away as he would eat it within half an hour :eek:

My horse picks up brushes if they are in his stable so I got an old body brush tied it on the end of a lead rope and he loves it. He chews it everyday after eating his dinner. Everyone says its like he flosses his teath after eating :)

ETA - I was worried about the string thing too but I now buy half swedes and cut a bit hole through the middle and thread it onto the lead rope that the brush is one. My stable has bars on top so I can clip the rope onto a high bar! (if that makes any sense!)

Last edited:
Bailey used to have a snack a ball which he loved, so much so we went through 2 because he kept smashing them up :rolleyes: He now has a decahedron (?) one, he doesn't get it as much because he makes a LOT of noise which doesn't go down too well with everyone :eek:
He also loves it when i paint a horse ball (small inflatable ball thing) with molasses and then cover it in chaff, that keeps him occupied for a good while :D

Chinook has the normal hanging likit. He enjoys these but i rarely replace them that often as he gets through them in a night :)

This summer I have bought the wall likit. Its like a rolling ball and you can place two smaller likits in. They are hopefully unable to bite this (like he does with his other one but not tested it yet) so in turn will last longer.

He does also have a Decadron. Try to use all over them - to alternate and not let him get bored but he also goes a while without them so hes not getting too many treats:D

One thing our horse likes is when we put an apple in her water bucket so she can apple bob

My horse hated being in her stable so we tried lots of things and now she will walk in, and stand there waiting for her rug change and to be put to bed.

We have:
Apples in the water..
A salt lick
A mineral lick
A Lik-It
A snak-a-ball.

Keeps her quiet all night anyway.

I was thinking of buying a tongue twister (the likit holders that spin and are attached to the wall) for this winter but not sure if they are any good.

Think anything like a snack ball will be taken away by the staff if it makes too much noise for their precious ears :mad: :rolleyes: and not sure we can physically hang anything from the ceilings...

LOL!!!! i like the look of those likit things on the wall mmmmm.....LOL i LOVE the smell of some likits as well hehe

Only one out of the four we have apple bobs, and none of them like likits.

We had a stall ball and it was a complete waste of money because Gemma wouldnt go near it at first and now completely ignores it!

Aramis LOVES her treat ball, the best toy by far. Likits are alright but both the horses i have owned eat the whole thing in one night :rolleyes:. The tongue twisters are also good though.

Amba has three stable toys

1. Tongue Twister - has no interest in it :rolleyes: but it is a really great stable toy for those horses who are interestered

2. Snack a ball - amba plays with this although only lasts her half an hour before she gets them all out and she normally has a tantrum and gets moody in the treats dont come out all the time :rolleyes: However, mare next door who uses the ball instead of amba plays with it all day and keeps her entertained

3. Likit on the floor - doesn't play or lick it, i dont even think she realises its there :D

newrider.com