Stable Stains

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
The spotty horse likes to add to his spots by getting lovely stable stains :giggle:

What do you usually do/use to clean stable stains?

I have just been using damp water brush and then dandy brush.

They don't come out completely but fade. Is that ok or should I be cleaning them more? Don't want to overwash and remove natural oils from coat either.

So on a daily basis what do you do when stable stains on light coloured horse?

On a daily basis?? Er... nothing. We don't really worry about them being spotless every day, nothing wrong with a bit of grub, they are horses after all :happy: For show preparation I bathe them with washing-up liquid (rather than shampoo), and then for any stubborn stains that don't come off with that, rub the stain with Portuguese blue soap and off it comes. I use the soap for manes and tails too, just rub it into the hair (no need for a lather) and rinse out - works on even the filthiest of tails.

The joys of a grey !:giggle:

Ditto, I would just have a skewbald somedays !

Cool thanks, I don't mind him being a bit grubby, just wanted to make sure that was ok and if I was doing enough :giggle:

He's your horse - he can be as clean or as grubby as you like :wink: Neither will do him any harm. Just remember that in the winter the grease / oils will help keep him warm, especially when he's turned out.

He's your horse - he can be as clean or as grubby as you like :wink: Neither will do him any harm. Just remember that in the winter the grease / oils will help keep him warm, especially when he's turned out.

Good advice about winter, thanks Joosie :happy:

What I have been doing is just quick brush over with dandy before I tack and then after I ride where a bit sweaty where saddle/girth is use damp brush and while I have it out give wipe/brush to the really filthy ones :giggle:

Though I can imagine him thinking I am going to lie down/roll in the field as soon as she goes home lol

Ziggy lives out, so we don't suffer from stable stains. He gets terrible grass stains and mud all over, and often waits until I turn up with the tack and then runs to his favourite spot and rolls! :stomp:

I just clear as little fur as possible to get the tack on. People sometimes think I'm riding a dun but it doesn't bother me and it doesn't bother Ziggy.

If I was bothered, which I am not, I'd use a damp sponge.

When I worked for my carriage driving instructor, we would have to turn ponies out in the middle of winter for RDA and corporate things. The team was white grey and only trace clipped. A jolly good brush with a dandy brush followed by lots of rubbing with a big sponge that was only damp went a long way to getting out the stains. Rinse, wring and rub, rinse wring and rub, ad the stain could be reduced to a shadow. But this was only when they were facing the paying public......and with a team if you have a really big stain one side you can put that horse on the side with the mucky side in so nobody can see it!

I don't mind mud and grass stains but I can't stand stable stains, usually because Mays bulk has pressed into the poo so much she stinks as well. I wash them off her shoulder or back leg with water and a sponge and sometimes a bit of shampoo when they are particularly bad, I also have some cowboy magic someone gave me and I sometimes use that with a bit of water.

I am terribly lazy with our pair of greys! Every morning they have overnight developed a lovely coloured appearance..............hehehehe. If I'm wanting to make the effort then I just give them a good brush. When we were on a posh yard it wasn't the done thing to have a grubby ned and so I resorted to buying a chalk block for Storm and used it in conjunction with a lot of elbow grease!lol. We aren't quite so fussy these days............She doesn't do being bathed either!

Thanks everyone :smile:

When I saw them first I was actually happy as knew that he was relaxed and settling well to lie down and get himself dirty :giggle:

I'll prob just stick with good brush and if we go anywhere he can have a bath :biggrin:

Thanks everyone :smile:

When I saw them first I was actually happy as knew that he was relaxed and settling well to lie down and get himself dirty :giggle:

I'll prob just stick with good brush and if we go anywhere he can have a bath :biggrin:

When I first got Storm I used to worry about keeping her clean - but I fear I have slacked off now....:giggle:

newrider.com